Premises Licences

Information on premises licence including how to apply, variation of a premises licence, transfer of a premises licence, Designated Premises Manager (DPM) and payment of annual fees.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address:

Email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis. We cannot accept phone calls at present.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits (with the exception of hire car applications, please refer to the hire car webpages for details of how to make these) should be posted to the

Licensing Team,
West Lothian Council,
Civic Centre,
EH54 6FF

along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation. 

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions at present. 

If you are an event organiser you should note that when possible applicants will be able to email amended applications for events which have been postponed due to Covid-19 as long as the details of the event remain exactly the same and only the event date is changing, any other changes to event details will require a new application to be submitted in the usual manner.   

A licence is required for premises where the sale of alcohol is involved. Premises licences are granted by the West Lothian Licensing Board and an application can be made by any individual, business or organisation involved in the sale of alcohol.
If you hold a premises licence issued by West Lothian Licensing Board you can apply to the Board to change a detail or details contained in your licence by making an application for variation.
If you hold a provisional premises licence issued by West Lothian Licensing Board you will need to apply to the Board to have it confirmed before you can start selling alcohol. You have four years from the date your provisional licence was granted to make the application.
If you wish to transfer a premises licence for a premises that is within West Lothian then you must apply to West Lothian Licensing Board.
Every licensed premises in Scotland must have a designated premises manager (DPM) in order to sell alcohol. The only premises which are exempt from these requirements are registered clubs.
Under section 36 of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 any person can apply to the Board for review of a premises licence.
Annual fees are payable by 1 October each year by all premises licence holders.
The following lists contain details of current premises and personal licence holders, these lists are updated regularly and at least every 12 weeks. For the avoidance of doubt this is the only information available to members of the public.