If you wish to sell alcohol then you will need a licence. This includes events where alcohol is provided following the purchase of an entrance ticket.
Licences, Permits and Permissions
There are a wide range of activities which require licenses and permissions from West Lothian Council and the Licensing Board.
The Licensing Team administers a number of different licensing schemes on behalf of the Council and the Licensing Board. These relate mainly to:
- Alcohol licences under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- Gambling licences under the Gambling Act 2005, and
- Various licences and permissions granted under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982
Individuals or organisations wishing to hold certain events may need several licences or permissions. Please see Entertainment Licences and Permissions for Events
You should be aware that as part of the licensing process information provided by the applicant will be recorded within our licensing systems and for most applications a mandatory background check will be carried out as part of the vetting process. For further information about how your information will be dealt with please see our privacy notices:
- Alcohol Licensing Alcohol Licensing [231kb]
- Cinema Licences Cinema Licences [176kb]
- Civic Licensing and Notifications of Processions Civic Licensing and Notifications of Processions [195kb]
- Fireworks Dispensation Fireworks Dispensation [165kb]
- Gambling Licensing Gambling Licensing [208kb]
- HMO Licensing HMO Licences [190kb]
- Sex Shops Sex Shops [192kb]
- Theatre Licences Theatre Licences [175kb]
- Venison Dealers' Venison Dealers' [176kb]
To view all current liquor licence application notices within West Lothian, please see Current Advert for Applications [72kb]
Please note that all the Licensing web pages are intended to guide you through the procedures associated with making an application for a licence. They are not intended to summarise relatively complex areas of the law. Anyone using these pages should obtain independent advice from their own solicitors, accountants and other advisors.
Further information may be obtained from the Licensing Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01506 281632
If you are organising an event involving entertainment which is open to the public you may need a licence.
West Lothian Licensing Board has a range of functions under the Gambling Act 2005
West Lothian Council operates a licensing scheme for taxis and private hire cars and their drivers. This scheme is administered by the Council's Licensing Team.
West Lothian Council as a licensing authority, carries out the administration of licensing in relation to activities for which licences are required, including the licensing of street traders, metal dealers and second hand dealers along with a large amount of other activities as specified in the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
Information on holding public processions (parades) in West Lothian and how to comment on/object to them.