Apply for a Premises Licence

A licence is required for premises where the sale of alcohol is involved. Premises licences are granted by the West Lothian Licensing Board and an application can be made by any individual, business or organisation involved in the sale of alcohol.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address:

Email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis. We cannot accept phone calls at present.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits (with the exception of hire car applications, please refer to the hire car webpages for details of how to make these) should be posted to the

Licensing Team,
West Lothian Council,
Civic Centre,
EH54 6FF

along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation. 

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions at present. 

If you are an event organiser you should note that when possible applicants will be able to email amended applications for events which have been postponed due to Covid-19 as long as the details of the event remain exactly the same and only the event date is changing, any other changes to event details will require a new application to be submitted in the usual manner.   

Premises licences remain in force with no time limit subject to the payment of an annual fee and can be transferred.

Who can apply for a Premises Licence?

Any person aged 18 or over may apply to the Licensing Board for a premises licence in respect of any premises.

However every premises must have a Premises Manager named on the licence. Any individual intending to be a Premises Manager must also be the holder of a valid Personal Licence. A person can only be the Premises Manager of one premises at a time. If your premises manager leaves for any reason, you must notify the Licensing Board within one week or you will not be able to continue selling alcohol Icon for pdf Notification [76.89KB]

How much does an application cost?

The application fee is variable and this is determined based on the rateable value of the premises which the licence is being applied for Icon for pdf fees [35.39KB]

What information do I need to provide?

 An application must contain a full description of the premises and be accompanied by:

  1. An operating plan
  2. Layout Plan (three copies)
  3. Planning Certificate
  4. Building Standards Certificate
  5. Food Hygiene Certificate
  6. The appropriate fee
  7. Disabled Access and Facilities Statement

You must contact Environmental Health and Trading Standards to apply for your Planning Certificate, Building Standards Certificate and Food Hygiene Certificate - these are referred to as Section 50 Certificates. You can find out more information from the Icon for pdf section 50 application form and guidance note. [51.59KB]

Operation of the Premises

Every premises must have an operating plan describing the activities proposed to be carried on in the premises and other information including operating times and whether children will be admitted. This is submitted as part of the application and forms part of the licence once granted.

Any change in the operation of the premises that is not covered by the operating plan will require an application to vary the licence to allow the change Variation of a Premises Licence

Disabled Access and Facilities Statement

An application for a premises licence, including an application for a provisional premises licence, must be accompanied by a Disabled Access and Facilities Statement. The prescribed form is attached to the premises licence application form.  Applicants should have regard to the Board's statement of licensing policy when completing the statement.

The Scottish Government have published guidance for completing a Disabled Access and Facilities Statement which can be viewed here DAFS Non-statutory Guidance

How do I apply for a premises licence?

How will my application be dealt with?

Will my application be granted after that?

What licence conditions will apply to my premises licence?

Do I need to pay an annual licence fee?

How can I make a complaint about how my application was dealt with?

How to object or make a representation regarding a premises licence application?