Designated Premises Manager (DPM)

Every licensed premises in Scotland must have a designated premises manager (DPM) who works on the premises in order to sell alcohol under Schedule 3 Premises Licence Mandatory Conditions of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. The only premises which are exempt from these requirements are clubs operating in terms of the Licensing (Clubs) (Scotland) Regulations 2007.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address:

Email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis. We cannot accept phone calls at present.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits (with the exception of hire car applications, please refer to the hire car webpages for details of how to make these) should be posted to the

Licensing Team,
West Lothian Council,
Civic Centre,
EH54 6FF

along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation. 

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions at present. 

If you are an event organiser you should note that when possible applicants will be able to email amended applications for events which have been postponed due to Covid-19 as long as the details of the event remain exactly the same and only the event date is changing, any other changes to event details will require a new application to be submitted in the usual manner.   

  • Every premises must have a specified designated premises manager who works at the premises.
  • Any individual intending to be a designated premises manager must also be the holder of a valid Personal Licence.
  • A person can only be the designated premises manager of one premises at a time. 
  • If your designated premises manager stops working at the premises for any reason, or his licence expires or is revoked or suspended, the licence holder must notify the Licensing Board within one week or the premises will not be able to continue selling alcohol.

How do I name a new designated Premises Manager?
What do I need to do if my premises manager leaves or his licence expires or is revoked or suspended?
What do I then need to do?
What do I do with the application?
What information do I need to provide?
How much will the application cost me?
How long will it take to process my application?
Making a Complaint