West Lothian Council's Ranger Service has bases at Almondell & Calderwood Country Park, Beecraigs Country Park and Polkemmet Country Park.
Together with the rest of the Parks & Woodland staff, they provide invaluable skills, expertise and experience in the management of West Lothian's countryside.
The Ranger Service offers environmental education to primary and secondary schools, nurseries and colleges. A broad range of natural history and environmental study is covered and is seen as complementary to the work of the teacher. If you are interested in this aspect of their Service, it is advised that bookings are made well in advance due to demand. There are charges for some groups and activities.
Organised groups and individuals can make alternative arrangements for Ranger-led walks, talks and activities by contacting any of the Ranger bases.
The majority of Ranger Events 2017 [2Mb] last approximately one to one and a half hours and incur a small fee. Always wear suitable clothing for outdoor events and activities. To ensure your place please do book in advance.
The Ranger team will:
- Encourage and assist visitors to West Lothian's countryside
Ranger Service (Winter) 7
- Monitor, maintain and develop access routes for everyone
- Provide interpretative facilities, lead public events, presentations and children's activities, work with volunteers/community/partner organisations
- Regularly patrol the countryside and essential works
- Ensures a welcome for visitors to West Lothian's countryside
- Assists in the management of access in West Lothian, particularly within the three Country Parks
- Promote awareness and understanding of the natural environment
- Assist in managing the natural heritage enjoyed by visitors
The Service will help you both to enjoy your visit and understand the needs of the countryside.
Ranger Service Costs
- Standard booking/activity charge of up to 1.5hours maximum. Adult £3.80 & Child £2.60 per head
- Classroom Based Presentation (not activity) - £26.0
- Activity based at school up to 1 1/2 hours maximum - £2.60 per head
- Activity Week (5 days) £89.00
If making a booking with the Rangers or arranging a visit, please discuss your requirements in advance. Prices can change according to the nature of the activity. Got a question for or need some advice from the Ranger Service, then get in touch and the Rangers will do their best to help.
Events and activities run throughout the year and provide interest to people of all ages and abilities. Contact us to book onto your preferred activity (please see contact details below).
Check out the Friends of Almondell & Calderwood, Beecraigs and Polkemmet pages:
Customer Satisfaction and Feedback Survey
Please help us to improve our service to you by completing this form.
Contact details for the Ranger Service are:-
- District Wide, Lynn Yiull - Tel: 07917 234882 E-mail: email@example.com
- Almondell & Calderwood Ranger base, Kirsty Morrison - Tel: 07917234899 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beecraigs Ranger base, Tracey Smith - Tel: 07901008550 E-mail: email@example.com
- Polkemmet Ranger base, Hannah Crow - Tel: 07833049511 E-mail: Hannah.Crow@westlothian.gov.uk
Beecraigs Country ParkBeecraigs Country Park
Tel: 01506 284516
Polkemmet Country ParkPolkemmet Country Park
Tel: 01501 743905
Almondell & Calderwood Country ParkAlmondell & Calderwood Country Park
Tel: 01506 882254