The West Lothian Council's Ranger Service has its office at Beecraigs Country Park and works across the district.
The Ranger Service together with the rest of the Parks & Woodland staff, provide invaluable skills, expertise and experience in the management of West Lothian's countryside.
The Service will help you both to enjoy your visit and understand the needs of the countryside.
The Ranger team will:
- Encourage and assist visitors to enjoy West Lothian's countryside
- Assist in the management of access across West Lothian
- Provide interpretative facilities, lead/coordinate public events, presentations and children's activities and promote working with volunteers, community and partner organisations
- Assist in managing the natural heritage enjoyed by visitors and enhancing biodiversity
- Promote awareness and understanding of the natural environment
Ranger Service Costs 2023/24
- Standard booking/activity charge of up to 1.5hours maximum. Adult £4.70 & Child £3.25 per head
- Classroom Based Presentation (not activity) - £32.25
- Activity based at school up to 1 1/2 hours maximum - £3.25 per head
Ranger Service Costs 2024/25
- Standard booking/activity charge of up to 1.5 hours maximum. Adult £4.90 & Child £3.40 per head
- Classroom Based Presentation (not activity) - £33.70
- Activity based at school up to 1 1/2 hours maximum - £3.40 per head
If making a booking with the Rangers or arranging a visit, please discuss your requirements in advance.
Events and activities run throughout the year and provide interest to people of all ages and abilities. Contact us to book onto your preferred activity (please see contact details below).
Ranger Events Programme
The Ranger Service is currently promoting the "Friends of" groups and the Volunteer Ranger Service.
Find out more at
- Friends of the Country Park
- Friends of Beecraigs and Witchcraig
- Friends of Polkemmet Country Park
- Friends of Little Boghead (information to follow)
- Friends of Blackmoss (information to follow)
West Lothian Volunteer Ranger Service
- The Volunteer Ranger Service offers additional volunteering opportunities across West Lothian, with sessions running on one Thursday and one alternating Saturday/Sunday per month, from 10am-12pm. Sessions take place at locations across West Lothian, including within Beecraigs, Polkemmet and Almondell & Calderwood Country Parks, and wider greenspaces. Planned practical outdoor tasks include vegetation control, meadow management, tree management and pond work. No experience is necessary to get involved, and you do not need to attend every session.
- For details of future volunteering sessions, please check out the Council's Facebook page or email the Rangers - Ranger Service
Ranger Service Contact Details
The Ranger team work from Beecraigs Country Park and can be contacted by email
Customer Satisfaction and Feedback Survey
Please help us to improve our service to you by completing our survey - Parks & Woodland Ranger Service Survey