Get a replacement birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate
Information on how to obtain a replacement certificate
Birth, Death, Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificates
As long as the event took place in Scotland (from 1855 onwards), you can apply to either our Livingston or Bathgate registration offices, for a copy of a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate, by one of the following methods.
- by telephone using a debit or credit card
- by post including the current fee made payable to West Lothian Council, there is a small postage charge.
- in person at either the Livingston or Bathgate registration office.
Who can apply?
Birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates are public documents, as such anyone can apply for a copy without restriction.
What information is required?
In order to obtain an extract it is helpful to know
- the full names of the person(s) at birth.
- the date the event took place.
- mother's maiden surname.
- where the event took place.
- To obtain an extract at the time of registration : £10.00.
- One month after the event : £15.00.
- if an original extract is produced at the time of request : £10.00.
- As from the 1st November 2015 postage costs will apply, this will be second class post only at 65 pence.
How to apply
You can request a copy of a certificate via telephone or in person at one of our registration offices.
To apply via telephone:
- Call 01506 281894 or 01506 282916
- Provide the required information
- Pay the relevant fee via credit/debit card
Requesting copies of certificates online
In the meantime, extracts (also known as copies) of birth, death and marriage certificates can be requested online via the Scotland's People website.
- Visit the ScotlandsPeople extracts webpage
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register for an account
- Each extract will cost £12 including postage
- You should allow 15 working days for the extract to be processed
- Your extract will then be posted out to you
Adopted birth certificates
You can get a copy of your adopted birth certificate from the Registrar General for Scotland. Only the adopted individual may request a copy of their adoption certificate.
You can get a copy of a still birth certificate from the Registrar General for Scotland.
England and Wales
You can get birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates from England and Wales using the Online Certificate Ordering Service (England and Wales) or by telephone to 0300 123 1837.
You can get Northern Irish birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates from the Northern Ireland General Register Office. Telephone 028 9025 2000.
Republic of Ireland
You can get birth, death and marriage certificates from the Republic of Ireland using their Online Certificate Ordering Service (Republic of Ireland) or by telephone to 00353 9066 32900.
*Please check with the office you are requesting your certificate from for their current fees.*
Livingston Registration OfficeWest Lothian Civic Centre
Howden South Road
Tel: 01506 281897
Bathgate Registration OfficeBathgate Partnership Centre
South Bridge Street
Tel: 01506 282916