Marriage and Civil Ceremonies

Information on marriage ceremonies and civil partnerships.

PLEASE NOTE: New rules on face coverings

From 8 August 2020 wearing a face covering will be compulsory at our Bathgate and Livingston Registration Offices.

Everyone attending an indoor marriage or civil partnership service in a place of worship or wedding venue will be required by law to wear a face covering.

In addition, children under the age of 5 are not required to wear a face covering.

How to arrange a Ceremony in West Lothian

On Monday 4 January 2021, the First Minister announced that mainland Scotland moves from Level 4 to a temporary lockdown on Tuesday 5 January

The following changes came in to effect for Marriage and Civil Partnership Ceremonies -

  • The maximum number of people allowed to attend a marriage or civil partnership will be 5 (this includes the celebrant or registrar),with physical distancing in place and only where venues are able to allow that number to attend safely.

  • The maximum attendance of 5 people does not include any limitation on numbers of households, but does include the registrar or celebrant.

  • The maximum figure encompasses all those at the ceremony, including children, carer's supporting any attendee, photographers, musicians or any other person employed by the couple, and so on.

  • PLEASE NOTE: From 28 September 2020 Ceremonies will NOT be authorised to take place in a private Dwelling

These restrictions are a legal requirement for all ceremonies regardless of who is conducting the ceremony and where they are taking place about.

The current numbers we are able to hold with the registration offices for ceremonies are as follows -

Livingston Office  4 people (including the couple and witnesses)

Bathgate Office 4 people (including the couple and witnesses)


  • To minimise the chance of exposure to COVID-19, we advise that any potential participant in a ceremony or other attendee who has symptoms or is self-isolating should not attend

  • If either party, the witnesses or anyone else attending the ceremony shows clear symptoms of COVID-19 on the day, the marriage or civil partnership should not go ahead

  • Any person who is shielding should continue to follow Scottish Government guidance on shielding

  • Any person who becomes unwell with symptoms of COVID-19 should be sent home, and advised to follow guidance on what to do when you develop symptoms

  • Attendees should continue to practice good hand and cough hygiene (including the handling of rings and other objects, such as those associated with hand-fasting, and so on)

  • Face coverings MUST be worn as a precautionary measure by parties, witnesses and guests at an indoor ceremony.

  • the ceremony or registration should be concluded in the shortest reasonable time. The content of a ceremony or registration should be limited as far as reasonably possible to the elements required for the marriage or civil partnership to be validly constituted under the law of Scotland

  • For the purpose of Track and Trace you will be required to provide Name Address and Contact details when arriving at the venue

    How much notice do we need to give?

You can submit your Marriage Notice between 29 days and 3 months prior to your wedding however, we are requesting all documents 10-12 weeks prior to your ceremony.


Where do I hand in my paperwork?

Due to Coronavirus, we are no longer accepting marriage paperwork in a face to face capacity. We are asking that you send your Marriage Notice forms and supporting documents to our office in Livingston at the following address -

Registration Office
West Lothian Civic Centre
Howden South Road
EH54 6FF


Please enclose contact details so we can able to get in touch with you with any questions that we may have. We understand you may not be keen to send your original birth certificates, divorce decrees or passports etc. however, we are happy to accept copies of these on the understanding you must bring the originals to our office when we arrange an appointment for you to collect your marriage or civil partnership schedule.

We will also be able to take payment over the telephone by credit or debit card for your fees as well once we receive the paperwork in the post.

If your wedding ceremony is being held in the Bathgate Registration Office, you can submit your marriage paperwork to the following address-


Bathgate Registration Office

Bathgate Partnership Centre

South Bridge Street


EH48 1TS


Bathgate Office cannot accept any marriage paperwork for weddings outside the Office.



Arranging a ceremony in West Lothian
How to arrange a Civil Partnership
Information on same sex marriages
Fees from 1 April 2020