Toggle menu

Equipment and Adaptations

Information on Equipment and Adaptations that may be available to you.

What are they and who are they for?

At some stage in your life you may find that your home is no longer suitable for you. This may be because you find the layout of the house difficult if you are ill, elderly or disabled.

In these circumstances you can apply to move house or it may be better for you to have your home adapted to suit your needs.  A Property Needs Assessment (PNA) allows applicants to be assessed in accordance with their property needs. More information and how to apply for a PNA can be found on our Information on Applying for a Council House page.

You may also be able to get help from services such as a Home Carer, personal care and/or meal provision to help you stay in your home.

What is the difference between the two?

Equipment is a ready-made item that is available to make your life easier. These items do not require a great deal of work to be carried out in your home. Equipment that is available can include:

  • Grab rails
  • Bathing equipment
  • Toilet frames
  • Kitchen equipment

More information can be found at Community Equipment Store (opens new window)

Adaptations are more extensive and often involve some form of alteration to your home by workmen. As assessment of the property will decide what can be fitted as not all properties are suitable. They include:

  • Installing a shower over a bath
  • Changing the height of worktops and kitchen units
  • Fitting a hoist to allow someone with a disability to be lifted from their bedroom to the bathroom
  • Providing grab rails
  • Fitting kickplates to the bottom of doors

Do I have to pay for this myself?

West Lothian Council has a budget every year to install equipment and adaptations to homes if the tenant or a member of the tenant's family require help.

Community Occupational Therapy

This service involves an assessment of needs and where it is appropriate, provides equipment and adaptations to improve levels of ability and to promote a safer environment .This enables children, adults and older people with physical, mental and/or learning disabilities to be as independent as possible in their own home.

A Community Occupational Therapist from the Council can visit you in your home to carry out this assessment. You can contact the Adult Social Care Enquiry Team (opens new window) on 01506 284848 or email