Insurance and Insurance Claims

The Council strongly advises all tenants to take out a contents insurance policy to cover your personal belongings.

If you do not take out contents insurance, and something happens, then you risk losing all your belongings and not having the money to replace or repair them.

West Lothian Council has made it easy for its tenants to insure their belongings by setting up its own household insurance scheme. This is open to any council tenant.

For further information please contact our Customer Service team on 01506 280000 or the Revenues Unit on 01506 282020 (option 4).

Icon for pdf You can now apply online. [205.04KB] .  You can open this, complete the fields inside and hit "Submit" to automatically send a copy to us. No printing needed!

You do not need Building Insurance.  We insure the structure of your home. As long as you are a council tenant and have not exercised your right to buy you do not have to insure the walls, doors, ceilings, roof, chimneys and window structures.

If your home contents have been damaged by fire you are responsible for making good any damage. Home contents are normally covered by standard home insurance contents policies, so you should make sure that you have contents insurance on your personal possessions.

In the event of damage by flood, once it has been identified where the problem lies, if the property causing this issue is Council owned we will make arrangements to have the fault rectified. If the fault lies with an owner they will be approached and advised to have the problem repaired. All damage caused by flooding or any other fault to personal possessions should be claimed through the tenant's own home insurance with the exception of fixtures that would require replacement such as new wall or base units, wall and ceiling boards and so on. The Council will replace these items and re-charge the the cost of this work to the person who originally caused the damage.

GDPR - Important Notice from Royal Sun Alliance (RSA)