Toggle menu

Applying for a Blue Badge

If you struggle to get around and use a car you could get a Blue Badge. A Blue Badge lets you park closer to where you're going. Blue Badges can be issued to children, adults and organisations if they provide care. Blue Badges can be used by either the driver of the vehicle or any passenger. It is illegal to use a Blue Badge if the badge holder in not in the vehicle. Blue Badge holders can park in designated parking bays giving easier access to facilities.

If you are unsure if you qualify you can check your eligibility (opens new window) on the Department for Transport website.

How do I apply for a new Blue Badge or replace a Blue Badge that is due to expire?


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a new Blue Badge or replace a Blue Badge that is due to expire is apply online (opens new window)

Please note, check your eligibility (opens new window) is the only legitimate website for applying online. Other websites may claim to offer an online service and could charge you for their assistance.

West Lothian Council charge £20 for all successful applications and all replacement badges.


In person

If you are unable to apply online, you can book an appointment at a local CIS office.  To make an appointment please call 01506 280150.

More information about opening times and booking an appointment is available here

Our staff will advise you what documentation to bring to your appointment.  If you are applying in person, you do not need to complete an application form in advance. Please see the section below on 'What evidence do I need'for more information. 

If you are unable to apply online or visit a council office you can email or telephone 01506 283000 (option 5) and request that a form is sent to you

What evidence do I need?

All applications must be accompanied with the appropriate evidence. Please do not send original documents to support your application.  We can accept scanned or photocopied images of your evidence or good quality photographs which can be emailed to

List of appropriate evidence:

  • Proof of identity - Birth / Adoption certificate or Marriage / Divorce certificate or Civil Partnership / Dissolution certificate or Valid driving licence or Passport.
  • Proof of your address dated within the last 12 months - council tax bill, utility bill or bank/Post Office statement - these documents must clearly bear your name and address.
  • Parents or guardians applying on behalf of applicants under the age of 16 can submit documents as described above.
  • Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance or Adult/Child Disability Payment award letter dated within the last 12 months. (we may be able to check this for you if you have difficulty providing this evidence);
  • Supporting evidence e.g. G.P health summary which can be issued free of charge by your GP's receptionist
  • Supporting evidence e.g. hospital report - discretionary applications only
  • Supporting evidence e.g. letter confirming diagnosed mental disorder or cognitive impairment, completed questionnaire in Section 3 of the application form completed by a registered health care professional - risk in traffic applicants only.   

We can now check your entitlement to qualifying benefits direct with the Department for Work and Pensions. If you cannot provide evidence of your entitlement to a Personal Independence Payment or the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, we can check that for you. We can also check your Adult/Child Disability Payment with Social Security Scotland.

Replacing a lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badge

The quickest way to request a lost, stolen or damage Blue Badge is online at Replace a lost, stolen or damaged Blue Badge (opens new window)

You can also request a replacement card by phoning 01506 283000 or by emailing

What happens next?

All applications will be initially checked and recorded by our staff. If further information or assessments are required, you will be contacted to provide this. If a badge is awarded, payment should be received within 28 days of this being requested. From then, a badge will be ordered from the supplier and sent direct to you within 15 working days of your badge being awarded (an email or letter will be sent to you to confirm you award has been made and how to make payment).

Your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Badge holder

Please refer to the The Blue Badge Scheme - Rights and Responsibilities of a Blue Badge Holder in Scotland (opens new window) booklet to find out where you can and cannot park and your rights and responsibilities as a blue badge holder.

If your application is successful you will be issued with the rights and responsibilities booklet as well as a parking clock, along with your blue badge.

Parking clocks are not necessary for parking in Scotland, however legislation in England and Wales requires badge holders to display this due to time limitations that are in place. If you are a Blue Badge holder travelling to England or Wales then you should ensure you take a parking clock with you. West Lothian Council will provide replacement parking clocks for those that require it.

If you require further information on Blue Badges please call 01506 283000 (option 5) or email