Search site

Tenant Participation

Tenant Participation is about you, our tenants, taking part in decision making processes and influencing decisions about housing policies, housing conditions, and housing (and related) services.

It is a two way process which involves the sharing of information, ideas and power. The aim is to improve the standard of housing conditions and services.

Tenant Participation Annual Report 2017-18

The service tries to engage with many tenants and service users in various innovative ways. The pdf icon Tenant Participation Report 2017-18 [658kb] details the work that the Tenant Participation Team have been involved in during the year.

Join Us on Facebook!

The Tenant Participation team is looking to help West Lothian Council tenants consult with us and converse with us through social media. If you are interested in joining the group then get in touch with us at and once we have confirmed you are a tenant (or part of a tenant's household) we can invite you to join our Facebook group.

Tenants have a right to be consulted on:

  • Changes to rent and service charges
  • Housing management, repairs and maintenance policies, standards of service in relation to housing
  • Any proposal to change the landlord
  • The Tenant Participation Strategy

The West Lothian pdf icon Tenant Participation Strategy [4Mb] sets out how tenants and service users can take part in a number of ways, both formal and informal.  Here are some examples of how you can take part:

  • Tenants and Residents Groups
  • Surveys
  • Register of Interested Tenants
  • Working Groups
  • Editorial Panel
  • Housing Networks
  • Tenant Led Inspections
  • Annual Events
  • Tenants Panel
  • Estate Walkabouts
  • Good Neighbour Awards
  • Street Environmental Improvement Projects

For more information please take a look at the pdf icon Tenant Participation Strategy [4Mb].If you would like to speak to someone about this or would like a copy of the strategy sent out to you, please contact the Tenant Participation Team at or complete the form. 

Regulator publishes guide for tenants and service users

The Scottish Housing Regulator has published 'How We Regulate: A guide for tenants and service users'. The guide has been written to help tenants, homeless people and other service users find out more about the work of the Regulator and also explains how they can go about raising concerns about their landlord.

Guidance on the Housing Act

A pdf icon guide to the Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 [398kb] has been published.