Toggle menu

Tree Works

If you are contemplating any works to protected trees / woodlands or need to find out whether a tree is protected, please use the online tools provided here.

You can check if a tree or property is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) by accessing the TPO Register (opens new window) 

If you wish to know if a tree is within a conservation area you can view maps on the webpage dedicated to Listed Buildings & Conservation Areas (opens new window).

If you encounter difficulties please email the Development Planning & Environment team at with the topic "TPO Enquiry" in the subject line, remembering to provide details of where the tree is located and your own contact details (i.e., name / email address / postal address and daytime telephone number). 

Responsibility for the management of trees, including protected trees, always rests with the owner of the land. The council has powers to protect trees which make an important contribution to the visual amenity of an area and /or are of cultural or historical significance. 

Protection of trees through negotiation and agreement is the preferred first option. However, where concerns are raised that a tree or trees may be wilfully damaged or destroyed, a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) may be made under the terms of the Town and Country Planning Act.

The statutory powers available to the council for the protection of trees are:

  • Tree Preservation Orders (TPO)
  • Trees within designated Conservation Areas
  • Trees protected by a condition as part of a Planning Consent.

The maximum penalty for illegal works to a protected tree is a £20,000 fine. Replacement planting may also be required.

Other tree felling legislation

In addition to the council's controls, tree felling and thinning is governed by the Forestry Acts. With the exception of domestic gardens and some other exemptions, a Felling Licence is required from  Scottish Forestry (opens new window).