Find your Local Household Waste Recycling Centre
West Lothian Council provides five Household Waste Recycling Centres where residents can take household items to be recycled or disposed of. Details of the locations and opening hours of recycling centres can be be viewed here.
Household waste only at West Lothian recycling centres
West Lothian recycling centres now only accept household waste and not commercial waste, to protect both the environment and vital council services. Measures have been put in place to ensure residents can continue to dispose of their household waste, and prevent commercial waste being accepted.
This will enable the council to focus on improving recycling rates and reduce the volume and cost to the council of materials being disposed of in landfill.
Commercial waste in West Lothian can be disposed of at 14 local sites managed by private operators. Find a list of sites on Waste Management Sites for Trade Waste
Only West Lothian residents can use our recycling centres
- Our five sites have been re-named Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) to reflect the changes. Residents are asked to bring along valid ID* when they visit HWRCs.
Commercial, business or trade waste is no longer accepted
- Liveried vans and commercial vehicles are not allowed into our recycling centres. If you want to use a liveried vehicle to dispose of non-commercial waste you can apply for a residential permit. Please visit Residential Permits - Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) for full details.
Local residents using a hired van can use recycling centres
- Local residents hiring a van will need to bring along a copy of their hire agreement and valid ID* when they visit recycling centres.
Check in advance to see if you are affected
- All West Lothian residents should still be able to use our recycling centres for household waste if they follow the guidelines above.
- Staff can refuse access to anyone who has not followed the guidelines.
If you require further information please call 01506 280000 or alternatively visit Residential Permits - Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC).
*Valid ID can be either a current driving licence or passport and recent council tax or utility bill
Coming soon....Changes to West Lothian Recycling Centres
The Council faces significant financial challenges over the next four years and is having to make a large number of changes to existing services. As a result there are changes to the way in which we operate our recycling centres.
Starting later this year, all recycling centres will be open from 10am - 4pm at weekends. Oakbank and Whitburn will open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 2pm. Blackburn, Linlithgow and Broxburn will open on Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 2pm.
From 1 April 2019 local businesses will also be able to dispose of recyclable materials at recycling centres free of charge, providing they have a Business Recycling Access Pass. Materials which businesses will be able to dispose of include glass bottles & jars, paper, cardboard, metal packaging, scrap metal, books, DVDs & clothes. The introduction of the Business Recycling Access Pass will provide an alternative for local businesses following the removal of the Council's commercial waste collection service from 1 April 2019.
Check back soon for more information!
- Residential Permits - Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) Information for residents wishing to obtain an exemption permit for the Household Waste Recycling Centres.
- Blackburn Household Waste Recycling Centre Location, opening times and recycling information for Blackburn Household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Broxburn Household Waste Recycling Centre Location, opening times and recycling information for Broxburn Household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Linlithgow Household Waste Recycling Centre Location, opening times and recycling information for Linlithgow Household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Oakbank (Livingston) Household Waste Recycling Centre Location, opening times and recycling information for Oakbank (Livingston) Household Waste Recycling Centre.
- Whitburn Household Waste Recycling Centre Location, opening times and recycling information for Whitburn Household Waste Recycling Centre.