Toggle menu

Benefits Advice

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to social security benefits to help make ends meet

How can the Advice Shop help you ?

  • Benefit checks
  • Help to fill in claim forms
  • Assistance to appeal unfair decisions and representation at your Tribunal
  • Help to resolve problems with your benefits and tax credits

What could you claim ?


The Advice Shop can provide you with a benefit check to see if you are entitled to any of these benefits or tax credits.  You would need to provide the following information:-

  • Details to everyone who lives in your household
  • Income details for you and your partner, if you have one
  • Any child care costs you need to pay
  • Your total rent charge either weekly or monthly
  • If you have a mortgage, the total amount outstanding
  • Your Council Tax Band
  • Total savings or Capital you have - this includes any property or land you own, other than the home you live in

If you would like more information, or for an Adviser to contact you, please complete our Online Form

Use our free online tool to calculate your entitlement to means tested and some non-means tested benefits
The Advice Shop can help you to complete a disability benefit claim form such Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance.
The Pensioner Income Maximisation Service (PIMS) offers advice and support for anyone living in West Lothian over the age of 60 or approaching State Pension Age. The team also provide advice and assistance for anyone affected by a long-term health condition.
Employees of West Lothian Council who are worried about money matters can access free, confidential advice tailored to your individual needs.
The Advice Shop is taking action to provide financial support to families and young people with money worries.