Toggle menu

Housing Support Service - What you need to know

Housing support services assist people to live independently in the community.

The service can provide practical help with:

  • Benefit claims/management of finances
  • Correspondence
  • Moving into accommodation/resettlement
  • Engaging with welfare services/professionals
  • Advice on maintaining the home
  • Keeping a safe and secure home

How can I access the Housing Support Service?

You can access the housing support service by Contacting the Council. Alternatively, someone can make a referral on your behalf. 

You will be asked to provide some information about yourself to start the process off. Basic information such as, name, address, telephone number and what you feel your need is.

What will happen with this information?

The information you supply will be given to the Assessment Officer, who will contact you to carry out a full assessment of your needs.

You will be asked to sign a form giving the Assessment Officer consent to share your information with relevant agencies and service providers. You do not need to sign this form, but it will help us to find the right support for your needs.

When will I receive Support?

Once the Assessment Officer has carried out the necessary assessment and you have agreed the content, the Officer will arrange for a Support Worker to spend time with you to help you with the identified support need.

What will the Support Worker do?

The support worker will draw up a housing support plan.  This will detail how the support worker will help you. This support plan will only be finalised with your agreement.

What if I have a complaint about the service?

If you have a complaint about the housing support service, this should be referred to your local Housing Manager, either by telephoning 01506 280000 or by writing to the local office.

What happens if I am still dissatisfied?

If you are dissatisfied with the response given by the local Housing Manager, you have the right to appeal against this decision.

Is there an independent review if I remain dissatisfied with the outcome of my appeal to West Lothian Council?

Yes, you also have the right to approach the Care Inspectorate. Please visit Care Inspectorate - Contact Us (opens new window) page.