Toggle menu

Rechargeable items

From time to time West Lothian Council finds it necessary to charge tenants for repairs carried out on their property. Money not recovered by the Council affects the ability of the Council to carry out repairs in future.

This can happen:

  • If you are leaving your home to move elsewhere.
  • If you have asked the Council to carry out work.
  • If the Council has to carry out work because of neglect or misuse of the property.

Malicious damage that has been reported to the Police is not normally chargeable but it is important that you report this to us as soon as possible.

The  Rechargeable Repairs [65KB]  document details the jobs you can be recharged for and the costs.

Moving house

Shortly after you tell us that you are leaving your home a Housing Officer will inspect the property. If they find any damage to the house, or if you have made any alterations without permission, or undertaken work which is not of a required standard or is unsafe, then these will be clearly pointed out to you. At this time you will be given an opportunity to reinstate the items before you leave.

Once you leave the house a further inspection will be made. If it is found that the repairs have not been done or work carried out is poor and unprofessional you will be advised of this and we will arrange to carry out the work ourselves and charge you for the cost.

Routine maintenance

Responsibility for repairs is explained in the Tenants Handbook. In some cases a repair may be required because of your actions or neglect. This can also include damage done by a member of your household or a visitor. When you report the fault

  • We will clearly point out if the repair is rechargeable.
  • You will be advised of the estimated cost verbally at the time of reporting of the repair.
  • You will be asked to sign a form agreeing that you are responsible for the work and agreeing to the amount you will be billed for. In the event the repair is an emergency repair, the repair will be carried out and you will be expected to sign the form after the repair is carried out.

How do I pay for work done?

Once work has been completed, you will be sent an account and you can pay using one of the methods below;

  • Set up a Standing Order using these details - Sort Code: 80-08-80, Account Number: 00918757. Please ensure you quote your former Tenancy reference.
  • Pay online at Pay for it
  • Call 01506 282407 to make a payment using your debit/credit card.

What if I disagree with the bill?

Any aspect of the account which you disagree with should be put in writing to your Local Office. Thereafter if you are still dissatisfied then you can follow the formal Council Complaints procedure

What happens if I don't pay my bill?

If you don't pay your bill then the Council will take action which can include:

  • Taking Court Action against you.
  • Use of a Debt Collection Agency - and will result in additional costs being payable.

Money not recovered by the Council affects the ability of the Council to carry out repairs in future.