Gas Servicing and Maintenance
West Lothian Council has a legal duty to ensure that gas appliances, gas piping and flues provided for tenants use are well maintained and safe.
This legal duty is set out in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
Our obligations as a landlord are to:
- Ensure that gas fittings, gas pipes and flues are maintained in a safe condition.
- Ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months.
- Have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a GAS SAFE registered gas installer.
- Keep a record of each safety check for at least two years.
- Issue a copy of the latest safety check record to the existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that servicing of appliances is undertaken including legal action to force entry where all reasonable attempts to obtain access have been explored. We may also cap your gas supply. This is necessary to fulfil our statutory obligations and to ensure the health and safety of our tenants.
Note that you will be recharged should we force entry and/or cap your gas supply
What to expect when your gas service is due:
Tenants will be sent a letter two months prior to their annual service falling due and invited to contact the Council to arrange an appointment for their annual service.
Please do not ignore this important letter.
In recognition of the importance of annual gas servicing in ensuring the health and safety of our tenants and to encourage take up of servicing appointments, tenants can also use the Gas Servicing Freephone No.: 0808 100 3353
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Following the annual service tenants may be contacted to participate in a satisfaction survey. This helps us ensure that tenants are satisfied with the quality of this necessary work being carried out in your home. The results of surveys are published in Tenants News.
Remember to use the Freephone Number : 0808 100 3353 to arrange your Gas Servicing Appointment or for any other gas repairs or enquiries.