Itinerant Metal Dealer's Licence

In terms of Section 32 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 itinerant metal dealers require to be licensed. The itinerant metal dealer's licensing scheme is administered by the Council's Licensing Team.

The impact of the Coronavirus (COVID -19) continues to have a significant impact on the processing of licence applications.

If you need to get in touch with the Licensing Team, please do so by email to the following address:

Email enquiries will be prioritised and responded to on a priority/urgent basis. We cannot accept phone calls at present.

In the meantime, applications for licences and permits (with the exception of hire car applications, please refer to the hire car webpages for details of how to make these) should be posted to the

Licensing Team,
West Lothian Council,
Civic Centre,
EH54 6FF

along with cheques or postal orders for payment of any fee required and copies of all required supporting documentation. 

If you are unable to post your application and fee please contact the Licensing Team by email.

Please be aware that there will likely be delays in the processing of applications due to changes in working conditions at present. 

If you are an event organiser you should note that when possible applicants will be able to email amended applications for events which have been postponed due to Covid-19 as long as the details of the event remain exactly the same and only the event date is changing, any other changes to event details will require a new application to be submitted in the usual manner.   

The Team is able to provide general guidance on the scheme but cannot assist you to complete your application form or provide legal advice on whether a licence is required. You should seek legal advice from a solicitor or advice centre if you are unsure as to whether you require a licence.

An itinerant metal dealer means:

a person who carries on a business which consists wholly or substantially of buying or selling for scrap:

  • metal articles that are old, broken, worn out or defaced; or
  • partly manufactured articles that are made wholly or partly from metal;
  • collects articles of either of these kinds by means of visits from place to place; and
  • disposes of such articles without causing them to be kept in a metal store or other premises (including disposing or giving custody of the articles to a person who keeps a metal store)

How do I apply for a licence?

What standard conditions will be applied if my licence is granted?

How do I make an objection or representation about an itinerant metal dealer's application?

How will my application be decided?

What if my details change or I no longer wish to hold my licence?

List of current itinerant metal dealer licence holders

How to complain about a licensed itinerant metal dealer

How to complain about an unlicensed itinerant metal dealer