Buy Extra Nursery Hours
Parents and carers have told us that they would like to be able to buy extra hours in our nurseries. We don't have space to do this in all of our nurseries, but where we do have spare spaces we have a Pilot to allow parents and carers can buy extra nursery hours for their children.
This is a pilot and the platform we are using to submit/process requests for buy extra nursery hours is new, so thank you for your patience.
Buy Extra Nursery hours is available at all nurseries running the 50 week model.
This is available at all nurseries running the 50 week model of statutory attendance, whether any other sessions have been released to purchase at that nursery or not.
This option allows children allocated the 2 full day attendance pattern, to extend the short session part of the statutory allocation. The short session in the afternoon between Monday to Thursday is where a child attends from 12:45-16:05 on the day allocated, and can be extended so the child would attend from 12:30-18:14 at a cost of £12. Or if the short session is allocated on a Friday morning so the child can attend from 08:00-11:20, this can be extended so the child would attend from 08:00-11:54 at a cost of £5. [Unfortunately we are unable to extend from a short session to a full day.]
A 'Booking Forms' must be submitted to extend the short session, you will require your child's unique reference number to complete a 'Booking Form', if you do not have this then you can request this from firstname.lastname@example.org please include your child's full name and date of birth in your request. Please note all requests for an extension will be booked as long as the child has been allocated the short session on the same day as the date being requested to be extended.
Buy Extra Nursery Hours - where we were able to release limited sessions in either the mornings, afternoons or full days is indicated below:
- Armadale Primary School - mornings, afternoons and full days
- Bankton Primary School - mornings, afternoons and full days
- Broxburn Primary School - mornings, afternoons and full days
- Linlithgow Primary School mornings, afternoons and full days
- St Columba's Primary School - full days
- St Paul's Primary School - mornings, afternoons and full days
- Bonnytoun Nursery School - full days only on Mondays and Tuesday
- Linlithgow Bridge Primary School - full days only on Mondays and Tuesdays, and mornings, and afternoons
- Southdale Primary School - full days
- Knightsridge Early Years Centre - mornings, afternoons
- Howden St Andrew's Primary School - afternoons
- Simpson Primary School - full days only on Mondays and Thursdays
- Uphall Primary School - full days only on Wednesdays and Thursday, and mornings, and afternoons
- Woodlands Nursery School - afternoons
- Eastertoun Nursery School - afternoons
- St Anthony's Primary School - mornings, afternoons
- St Ninian's Primary School - afternoons
- Greenrigg Primary School - mornings, afternoons
- Kirknewton Primary School - mornings, afternoons and full days
- Parkhead Primary School - afternoons
- Polbeth Nursery School - full days
- Whitdale Early Years Centre - mornings, and full days
Please note :- As sessions for purchase are booked on a first come first served basis any released sessions to purchase as indicated above may already be booked . We do continue to assess the ability to release sessions for purchase, however where demand for the statutory entitlement is high there will be no ability to do this.
We have a duty to ensure we can provide every eligible child that applies their 1140hours of statutory entitlement, so we can only offer sessions to purchase if the demand for the statutory hours is sufficient to do this. Therefore which sessions if any that will be released for 2024/2025 school year will be decided once all statutory entitlement requests have been considered. More information about this will be included in statutory entitlement decision letters issued by the end of May/beginning of June 2024.
- You can book sessions in advance for the whole year (August - July) however these can be paid for monthly.
- All applications/requests to buy extra nursery hours must be made using the online application form. If you have any issues with the application form please contact email@example.com
You can pay for sessions using a -
- Debit/credit card
- Government Tax-Free Childcare account
- Some employee childcare vouchers schemes
- West Lothian College students who receive help from the West Lothian College Childcare Fund can arrange for the childcare payments to be made directly to West Lothian Council.
Please see below for further information
You can pay for your session using a debit/credit card using West Lothian's "pay for it" facility. A link for this will be sent with your confirmation email. If you choose this option we will receive information of your payment and your account will be updated with details of the payment automatically.
Tax Free Childcare Account
If you have a tax free childcare account and would like to pay for extra sessions using the account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org each time you make a payment to let us know the amount you have paid, the date of payment and your child's tax free childcare number. After we have checked that we have received your payment we will update your account
If you would like to use childcare vouchers please contact email@example.com to see if we are able to accept these as payment.
West Lothian College
If you are studying with West Lothian College, and are eligible to receive help with childcare, then we can arrange for some or all of your extra hours to be paid for by the college. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Once we have confirmation from the college we will let you know if there is a balance to pay for any hours purchased.
All payments, except those made directly from West Lothian College, should be made 4 weeks in advance. Reminder emails will be sent the day before a booking if we haven't received any payment. We may cancel future bookings If payments are not made on time.
If you have paid for sessions more than four weeks in advance we can arrange a refund or apply the payment to a future booking.
- Mornings (AM) £29 per session - Sessions are Monday to Thursday 07:47-12:30 or Friday 08:00-11:54
- Afternoon (PM) £29 per session - Sessions are Monday to Thursday 12:30-18:14
- Extension to Afternoon Short Session £12 per extension - Available if child is attending 2 full days and a short session. This option allows you to extend a short session from 12:45-16:05 to the same afternoon times as above.
- Short Session Friday - £5 per session - Available if child is attending 2 full days and a short session. This option allows you to extend a short session from 08:00-11:20 to the same Friday morning times as above.
- Full Day £50 per session - Sessions are Monday to Thursday 08:00-18:00
- Currently we have issue with the Availability form, the link will be put back once this issue has been fixed, in the mean time please just submit the booking form which will return whether the date and session are available or not, if you have not received a response within 24 hours of submitting a booking form, then please e-mail email@example.com and we can look into this.
- If you have not used 'Buy Extra Nursery Hours' before, you need to indicate interest, by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest and your child's full name and date of birth.
- We will then e-mail you your child's unique reference number, which is required to complete the booking form. This e-mail will also advise if there is a date applications will accepted from, any applications submitted prior to this date (if any stated) will return an e-mail stating not booked.
- Make a Booking - click this link to go to the booking form.
- Please advise us - if the e-mail you receive after submitting a booking form has no dates or booking link stated (as something has gone wrong) by forwarding the e-mail to email@example.com and provide the dates and sessions you were trying to book, so that we can ensure that the booking has been processed.
- Please note - the e-mail you receive after submitting a booking form will advise what sessions are available and what sessions are not available. You need to scroll to the bottom of the e-mail and click on the 'Yes' button to complete the booking for any sessions advised as available, otherwise these will be automatically be cancelled after 24 hours.
- Once clicked 'Yes' to confirm bookings, a further e-mail will be issued confirming dates and sessions booked and will provide information on how to pay.
- You will need your child's unique reference number, this is currently being issued to parents along with the date applications will be accepted from.
- View all of your bookings - click this link to go to the form that will provide you with a list of bookings including the dates and costs for your child. This list will also show which sessions/dates have been paid for from payments received.
- If the e-mail you receive after submitting a View all of your bookings form does not show what you expected in regards to dates/sessions booked or dates/sessions marked as paid from payments received, then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To cancel a booking please email email@example.com
- Please note that 4 weeks notice is required for cancellations and for requests to change any bookings within the next four weeks. Refunds will not be give for cancellations or changes with less than 4 weeks notice
The information you provide on this form will be used to administer your request to buy extra nursery hours. We will check the information we hold on our school information management system to confirm that your child attends the nursery you wish to book extra nursery hours with. The nursery will be informed of the times you have booked once you have paid for the hours.
We hold the information about your application and booking securely.
Our nurseries will keep a record of attendance in line with legal requirements.
Your Rights Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access:
You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information. Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure:
You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances. Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing:
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances. Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances. You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. To make a request please contact us at Education Customer Services, West Lothian Council, West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 6FF.
Providing accurate information It is important the information we hold is correct. If you need to make any changes, please e-mail or call your child's school. You can view school contact information from the main council website.
Further information If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact us at the address above.
You can also contact the Data Protection Officer:
West Lothian Council
West Lothian Civic Centre
Howden South Road
More information about data protection and how it applies to you, including how to 4 make a complaint, is available from the Information Commissioner's Office.
The ICO's address:
Information Commissioner's Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113.
- Places available to buy through the "Buy Extra Nursery Hours" pilot can only be offered where there is spare capacity within the nursery.
- We cannot guarantee that where places are made available at a nursery for one session they will be available the following year.
- A new application for recurring weekly slots must be made each year (August - July) using our online application form. The number of extra hours available to buy may vary from year to year.
- You can only buy extra nursery hours in the setting in which your child has a nursery place and during the days the setting is open.
- Places will be granted on a first come, first served basis.
- The session fees are reviewed annually.
- No discounts or concessions are available in relation to session fees.
- We reserve the right to cancel sessions in exceptional circumstances such as severe weather and a refund will be processed.
- 4 weeks notice is required for cancellations If you would like to cancel or change your booking please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No refunds will be given for non-attendance (for example through sickness or holidays).
- Payment must be made in advance of using the session.
Modification of Terms & Conditions
West Lothian Council reserves the right to amend the Terms & Conditions for example to comply with revised fiscal, legislative or operating requirements. Changes will be notified in writing to parents/carers, and will replace all previous Terms & Conditions.
If you have any issues or questions, please contact your nursery, or contact us at email@example.com