Can I get Council Tax Reduction?

Information on how you qualify for Council Tax Reduction

How much help will I get?

How much Council Tax Reduction you get depends on your circumstances and how much council tax you're due to pay. 

To qualify for Council Tax Reduction, you must:

  • be on a low income
  • be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax

You can claim Council Tax Reduction whether you're working, unemployed, disabled, single, married or in a civil partnership.

Please note you may not be entitled to Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you've come to live in the UK from abroad
  • you're a full time student
  • you live in residential care or a nursing home
  • you have savings over £16,000

Providing Evidence

We may ask you to provide evidence to support your Council Tax Reduction application. The quickest and easiest way to provide evidence is to upload this online using our evidence upload form.

Alternatively evidence can be submitted at your local Customer Information Service centre (CIS), details of your local CIS office including opening times can be found here, or by post at the address below:

The Benefits Team
Revenues Unit
Civic Centre
Howden South Road
West Lothian
EH54 6FF

What help is available?

Single person households with net income of up to £16,750, and all other households with net income of up to £25,000, with less than £16,000 in savings are eligible to apply for assistance to pay the increased charge through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

If you feel you may qualify for assistance the quickest and easiest way to apply is by using our Council Tax Reduction online form.

Alternatively you can collect a form from your local  or contact us by e-mail or by telephone on 01506 280000 and we will send a form to you. 

What happens if I am already receiving Council Tax Reduction?

If you are already in receipt of Council Tax Reduction then you do not need to re-apply; your Council Tax Reduction award will automatically be reassessed and will include any additional reduction you are entitled to.