West Lothian's Core Paths Plan
West Lothian's Core Paths Plan
Core paths can be paths, waterways or any other means of crossing land to facilitate, promote and manage the exercise of access rights under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, and are identified as such in access authority core paths plans. A Core Path Plan provides a basic framework of routes for the purpose of giving the public reasonable access throughout a particular area for walking, cycling, horse riding and other non-motorised activities .
Under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 West Lothian Council had a duty to prepare a Core Path Plan, a network of the most useful and important paths for people of all ages and abilities. The Plan was put together in consultation with local people and land managers to try to make sure that the network meets community needs whilst minimising the impact on land management practices. The Local Authority does not have a duty to improve, promote or maintain core paths, only to make a plan.
Core paths in West Lothian may be rights of way, paths, tracks or any other key routes crossing land to facilitate, promote and manage public access rights. The most important routes, particularly those in and around towns and villages, were identified by West Lothian Council in the Core Paths Plan and take priority for maintenance and improvement as well as being protected from development or closure. Not all core paths in West Lothian are signposted or suitable for all users, but they offer choice of routes across the district. In addition many others paths exist that form part of the wider network of paths. The West Lothian Core Path Plan was adopted in 2013 and work is ongoing in bringing the network up to standard.
Issues such as removal of signage, fly-tipping, blocked access, etc. can occur on access routes and you can help us by reporting any problems you come across by logging the issue online at Core Paths and Rights of Way Issues
Descriptions of paths in the Core Path Network
The Plan has been split into pdf files and includes map detail and descriptions of paths in the Core Path Network.
- DCPP 1 - Plan 1 [2Mb] The Core Paths Plan Map
- DCPP 2 - Written Statement: [3Mb] Introduction, Methodology, Candidate Core Path Criteria and Informal Consultations
- DCPP 3 - Plan 2 [2Mb] Response to Informal Consultations
- DCPP 4 - Plan 3 [167kb] The Core Path Diagram 2030
- DCPP 5 - Plan 4 [2Mb] Core Path Network
- DCPP 6 - Plan 5 [3Mb] Detailed Map Index - use to identify which map you wish to view for paths and their description
- DCPP 27 - Written Statement: [237kb] Objectives and Policies Next Steps, Glossary and Description of Photos
The paths which each map covers are detailed on the list below."
- DCPP 7 - Map A: [1Mb] WL1 National Cycle Path 75
- DCPP 8 - Map B: [1Mb] WL2a Union Canal Water Path and WL2b Union Canal Towpath
- DCPP 9 - Map C: [1Mb] WL34 Round the Forth Cycle Path (NCN 76)
- DCPP 10 - Map D: [1Mb] WL3 Linlithgow Loch Circular, WL7 Fisher's Brae and WL35 Linlithgow Loch to Union Canal
- DCPP 11 - Map E: [1Mb] WL4 Linlithgow to Beecraigs Link and WL5 Beecraigs East/West Path
- DCPP 12 - Map F: [1Mb] WL6 River Avon Heritage Trail
- DCPP 13 - Map G: [1000kb] WL11 Winchburgh to Kirkliston and WL12 Threemiletown and Old Philpstoun
- DCPP 14 - Map H: [1Mb] WL21 and WL22 Armadale Round Town Path
- DCPP 15 - Map I: [1Mb] WL20 Ballencrieff Toll and Balbardie Paths and WL26 Puir Wife's Brae
- DCPP 16 - Map J: [1Mb] WL23 Whitburn Tow Path and WL38 Blaeberry Circular
- DCPP 17 - Map K: [1Mb] WL19 East Whitburn to Stoneyburn, WL25 Whitrigg Circular and WL39 Stoneyburn to Loganlea
- DCPP 18 - Map L: [1Mb] WL16 West Calder to Polbeth and WL24 Fauldhouse Rail Path
- DCPP 19 - Map M: [1Mb] WL37 River Almond to Breich Water and WL40 Almond Valley Path
- DCPP 20 - Map N: [2Mb] WL8 Brox Burn Path and WL15 East Calder, Calderwood and Linhouse Path
- DCPP 21 - Map O: [2Mb] WL10 Bathgate to Newbridge Cycle Path
- DCPP 22 - Map P: [1Mb] WL9 Uphall Station to Roman Camp, WL17 and WL18 Uphall to East Calder
- DCPP 23 - Map Q: [2Mb] WL13 Linhouse Circular, WL14 Muiravonside Trail and WL27 River Almond Water Path
- DCPP 24 - Map R: [2Mb] WL31 Loan Path and WL32 Kilandean Path
- DCPP 25 - Map S: [2Mb] WL28 Nell Burn Path, WL29 Railway Path, WL30 Harrysmuir Path, WL31 Loan Path and WL33 Folly Burn Path
- DCPP 26 - Map T: [804kb] WL36 Dechmont Law Link
Countryside paths are prioritised for maintenance and work is carried out by inhouse teams, contractors, volunteers and in partnership with other groups. If you want to report an access issue on a path, please contact us Core Paths and Rights of Way Issues
NETs, Land & Countryside ServicesWhitehill Service Centre
4 Inchmuir Road
Whitehill Industrial Estate
Tel: 01506 280000