Toggle menu

Animal Care

Anyone who operates a premises providing accommodation for animals needs to apply for a licence. No person may keep a boarding establishment without first obtaining a licence from their local authority.
You may require a licence if you are engaged in breeding dogs, cats, or rabbits
Commercial Dog Walkers are now encouraged to become a member of our Trusted Trader Scheme
Anyone who wishes to keep an animal which is classified as a 'dangerous wild animal' must apply for the relevant licence. To see which animals this applies to, check the Dangerous Wild Animal Schedule.
Applicants considering opening a Dog Day Care establishment are encouraged to contact the environmental health team for more information.
Anyone planning on boarding dogs at a domestic premises needs to apply for a Licence under the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963. No person may board dog's without first obtaining a licence from the local authority.
The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 requires that all persons who work with, train, supply, present, exhibit or show animals which are used in any genre of entertainment must register with their local authorities.
A riding establishment licence is required where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction in Scotland. "Horse" includes any mare, gelding, pony, foal, colt, filly, or stallion, and also any ass, mule or jennet. A licence may be granted to an individual over the age of eighteen years or a corporate body.
The selling of animals as pets, whether by an individual or an organisation will require a licence.