Local History Library
Find out the rich heritage of your local area in the West Lothian Local History Library. The Library holds a huge range of books, maps and images about West Lothian's places and people.
The Local History Library is based in Tam Dalyell House (formerly County Buildings) in Linlithgow High Street.
The Local History library is a reference library. Customers are welcome to come and carry out research. Staff are able to direct customers to the Local History Library where customers can browse the collection and carry out their own research. We are unable to answer enquiries by telephone or email but you are welcome to pop in to the Local History Library.
- Monday: 9am - 5pm
- Tuesday: 9am - 7pm
- Wednesday: 9am - 5pm
- Thursday: 9am - 7pm
- Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Saturday: 9am - 1pm
More than just history - find out what's on offer at the West Lothian Local History Library:
- Photographs - 11,000 photos - some online at Flickr - Local History Library
- Maps - c.1,100 maps. Search for them in the Main library catalogue
- Newspapers are available to view on our microfilm readers - search the Local Newspaper Search
- Books - some 10,000 books - search them in the Main library catalogue
- Family history resources - censuses, OPRs, MIs, etc.
- Valuation and Voters' Rolls, 1855 -
- Local publications for sale
In addition the Local History Library offers:
- Schools' packs for each town and village
For Family History information, see the Family History page
Explore your heritage, re-discover your history, bring the past to life.
West Lothian Local History Library - collecting, preserving, organising and promoting West Lothian's heritage.