Early Learning & Childcare places 3year & 4year Olds
You can apply for 'Early Learning & Childcare (ELC) for 3 year & 4 year olds' using the Early Learning & Childcare (ELC) 3 and 4 year old provision Application Form.
If a child is classed as a 'Pre-school' child in the academic year, this means that this academic year is the 2nd year of ELC that they are entitled to as a 3 or 4 year old child.
If a child is classed as an 'Ante Pre-school' child in the academic year, this means that this academic year is the 1st year of ELC that they are entitled to as a 3 or 4 year old.
For Session 2019/2020 (21 Aug 2019- 14 Aug 2020):
- Children with dates of birth between 01 March 2015 and the 29 February 2016 ‐ These children are 'Pre‐school' children in session 2019/20 and will start P1 in August 2020.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 March 2016 and the 31 December 2016‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2019/20.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 January 2017 and the 28 February 2017 -These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2019/20.
Late applications/ changes
Government decision to close nurseries/schools due to COVID 19- means that the normal process for applications or change requests for 2019/20 has ceased for the foreseeable future.
Local Authorities are required to provide education and care for nursery and school age children of key workers, who do not have childcare.
The link to an online form was issued by group call on Friday the 20 March 2020, and requested those who fit in to this category and require childcare to complete the form urgently.
To help you, the Scottish Government provided the following definition of key workers:
Category 1 - Health and Care workers directly supporting COVID response, and associated staff; Health and Care workers supporting life threatening emergency work, as well as critical primary and community care provision; Energy suppliers (small numbers identified as top priority already); staff providing childcare/ learning for other category 1 staff.
Category 2 - All other Health and Care workers, and wider public sector workers providing emergency / critical welfare services (eg. Fire, Police, Prisons, Social Workers etc), as well as those supporting our Critical National Infrastructure, without whom serious damage to the welfare of the people of Scotland could be caused.
Category 3 - All workers without whom there could be a significant impact on Scotland and or West Lothian (but where the response to COVID-19, or the ability to perform essential tasks to keep the country running, would not be severely compromised).
If you did not receive this group call, meet the requirement and have no childcare available to you then please submit the form, here is the link: https://bit.ly/3b8C6v2 . More information can be found at https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/51906/Keyworker-Childcare .
It will take time for all applications for Keyworker places to be processed and if a form has been submitted you will be responded to, however any queries regarding keyworkers should be directed to email@example.com .
For Session 2020/2021 (17 Aug 2020- 13 Aug 2021):
A letter was issued to all parents we are aware of to advise them of changes to ELC provision's format for session 2020/2021 on Monday 23 March 2020 and provided the opportunity to make any changes to their application request prior to the extension of the closing date from the 15 March 2020 to the 03 April 2020.
The allocation of ELC places for session 2020/2021's process is continuing, but has been delayed due to the closure of nurseries and schools for the foreseeable future. Initial decisions for ELC places from August 2020 for applications received by the closing date of the 03 April 2020 will be considered in May/June 2020 and decisions will be issued to parents/carers by 30 June 2020.
Decision information issued will advise parents of places allocated for session 2020/2021, but you will be advised separately regarding any nursery and school closures (if any come to an end) in the current session 2019/2020.
- Children with dates of birth between 01 March 2016 and the 28 February 2017 - These children are 'Pre‐school' children in session 2020/21.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 March 2017 and the 31 August 2017 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2020/21, and are eligible for an ELC place as a 3 year old if they apply from the 17 August 2020, staff at the establishment will confirm the start date.
- Children with Dates of Birth between 01 September 2017 and the 31 December 2017 ‐ These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2020/21 and are eligible for an ELC place as a 3 year old if they apply from the 05 January 2021 (however they may start from their 3rd birthday if they have been advised a place has been allocated prior to their 3rd birthday, staff at the establishment allocated would confirm the start date).
Applications received after the closing date of the 03 April 2020 will be considered however there may be limited or no availability at your preferred establishment/session once initial decisions have been made.
Children with Dates of Birth between 01 January 2018 and the 28 February 2018 -These children are 'Ante Pre‐school' children in session 2020/21, but are not eligible for an ELC place as a 3 year old if they apply until the 19 April 2021. The closing date for applications is the 15 November 2020.
Decision letters regarding the April 2021 ELC as a 3 year old intake will be issued (if received by closing date) by the end of February 2021.