Certificate of Lawfulness

If you want formal confirmation from the council that the works you're proposing constitute permitted development, and don't need to be the subject of a planning application, you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

In addition to the usual certificate of lawfulness applications, West Lothian Council offers a certificate of lawfulness service tailored to householders, which will give you a formal decision notice and stamped plans which you will be able to show to prospective buyers when you sell your house. The cost of this is ¬£101, half the fee for a householder planning application. You can submit your application through the Government's ePlanning website or by using the council's forms below, (proposed use or development).

Existing use or operation

Proposed use or development