Our Corporate Debt Policy sets out our aims and objectives when dealing with customers who have more than one debt due to the council.
We aim to:
- Provide a joined up approach to customers to enable all council debts to be addressed when customers engage with us.
- Set realistic and sustainable repayment arrangements at all stages of recovery for those customers who engage with us
- Provide all reasonable assistance to those customers who have difficulty in paying so they can pay what they are due.
- Prevent the spiral of debt at an early stage by dealing effectively with small debts.
- Provide appropriate advice and assistance to customers to maximise their income.
- Treat all customers as individuals and consider, wherever possible, individual circumstances when taking action to recover debts.
- Make effective use of all recovery measures available to the council.
- Make best use of all the resources available in the collection and recovery of debts.
The approach we take is also aligned to thefor West Lothian.