Kickstart is the UK Government scheme providing funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for 16 to 24-year-olds who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
Kickstart is coming to West Lothian through a partnership between West Lothian Council and West Lothian Community Planning partners including the West Lothian Chamber of Commerce, West Lothian College and the Voluntary Sector Gateway. We will bid for placements on behalf of West Lothian businesses and charities and provide help, employability support and training throughout the placement.
The scheme goes live in November but you can register your interest in the creation of opportunities by completing the Kickstart registration form
The funding covers:
- 100 per cent of the National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week
- The on costs associated with employing the participant
There is also additional funding to support the young person to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing the placement.
Criteria for positions created under Kick Start
- Positions should be a minimum of 25 hours a week for six months and be paid at least the National Minimum Wage for the age group.
- Positions must be new jobs and not replacing existing jobs, a planned vacancy or exist as a result of a redundancy
- Positions mustn't require specific qualifications or expertise to undertake or extensive training before they start, this can provided on the job
The scheme will go live from November 2020 and run until December 2011
How do I apply?
If you are able create a Kick Start placement please complete the attached and we will be in touch to discuss the details and the next steps
If you are looking to offer 30 placements or more, you can apply directly to the UK Government
Business Gateway, West Lothian are available to provide expert support and guidance to new and existing businesses. Visit Business Gateway Local Support for information on what advice and support is available for businesses in the area.
Unemployed and looking to access Kick Start or other support?
If you are unemployed or concerned about your current job West Lothian Council's Access2employment team can provide support to help you access opportunities like Kick Start, update your CV or to job search locally. To receive support register with Access2Employment