You can use Community News to tell people in your local community and throughout West Lothian what is happening in your area and publicise your events and initiatives.
We have dedicated pages for your council ward so you will be able to find out what is happening locally. If you have any news, just email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01506 282001. We can also accept pictures, although you must guarantee that you have permission from anyone who appears in the picture that it can be published online. The content of the Community News page is subject to copyright and should not be copied without permission
On the trail of poppy stones
This year, the Rainbows, Brownies and Guides in the area are taking part in the big Poppy Drop for Remembrance Sunday.
During this week, leading up to remembrance Sunday on 11 November, you might see stones with poppies painted on them in places such as Murieston Trail or Bellsquarry Wood.
This is a way to honour the sacrifices made in World War 1.
If you find one of the painted stones, please feel free to take it home or rehide it for someone else to find.
November's Put Your West Foot Forward walks
- Friday 2 November 1 am Livingston Ageing Well Livingston Xcite Riverside
- Monday 5 November 10.15 am Bathgate Old Library Glenmavis
- Tuesday 6 November 10 am Craigshill Livingston Rugby Club Mid Calder River Walk
- Tuesday 6 November 10 am Armadale Bus to Blackridge Blackridge to Armadale
- Tuesday 6 November 10 am Whitburn Ageing Well Whitburn Library Blaeberry
- Wednesday 7 November 7 pm Livingston Evening Carmondean Library Route decided on the night
- Wednesday 7 November 10 am Linlithgow Tesco A: Linlithgow Bridge B: St Ninian's Road
- Friday 9 November 1 am Livingston Ageing Well Livingston Xcite O'er the Bridge
- Monday 12 November 10.15 am Bathgate Tesco Kirkton Park
- Tuesday 13 November 10 am Craigshill Craigsfarm Lizzie Bryce Walk
- Tuesday 13 November 10 am Armadale Railway Station Cycle Path East
- Tuesday 13 November 10 am Whitburn Ageing Well Whitburn Library Town Walk
- Wednesday 14 November 7 pm Livingston Evening Carmondean Library Route decided on the night
- Wednesday 14 November 10 am Linlithgow Tesco A: Dark Entry B: Canal Walk
- Friday 16 November 1 am Livingston Ageing Well Livingston Xcite Woodland
- Monday 19 November 10.15 am Bathgate Partnership Centre Town Walk
- Tuesday 20 November 9 am Whitburn Ageing Well Bus Stop - The Cross Seafield Law
- Tuesday 20 November 10 am Craigshill Craigsfarm Almondvale Stadium
- Tuesday 20 November 10 am Armadale St Anthony's East Fells
- Wednesday 21 November 7 pm Livingston Evening Carmondean Library Route decided on the night
- Wednesday 21 November 10 am Linlithgow Tesco A/ B Town Walk
- Friday 23 November 1 am Livingston Ageing Well Livingston Xcite Riverside
- Monday 26 November 10.15 am Bathgate Old Library Balbardie Park
- Tuesday 27 November 10 am Craigshill Craigsfarm Howden Riverside
- Tuesday 27 November 10 am Armadale St Anthony's Railway Station
- Tuesday 27 November 10 am Whitburn Ageing Well Whitburn Library Walkers Choice
- Wednesday 28 November 7 pm Livingston Evening Carmondean Library Route decided on the night
- Wednesday 28 November 10 am Linlithgow Tesco A: Canal East B: Canal Walk
- Friday 30 November 1 am Livingston Ageing Well Livingston Xcite O'er the Bridge
For fuller information on all walks, phone 01506 775626.
Step back in time at the Reminiscence Centre
If you're looking for something to do during the school holidays that's ideal for the whole family, pop into the Reminiscence Centre at The Centre, Livingston.
It's a real trip down memory lane, with all sorts of reminders of the way things were at home and in the community.
The Reminiscence Centre is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11am - 3pm.
Everyone is welcome to come in and have a look round.
Visits can also be arranged for local groups, and reminiscence sessions can be provided for care facilities.
Check out our video below for a little look at what the Reminiscence Centre has to offer.
Tea and toast for PoppyScotland
Fauldhouse Community Development Trust's Take a Break craft group are holding a Tea and Toast event to raise funds for Poppyscotland. It takes place from 10am - 1pm on Wednesday 7 Novemberin The Hub, 10 Main Street, Fauldhouse.
Tickets are £2.
Everyone is welcome.
Band looking for new members
Bathgate Youth Band is looking for new members aged 8-16 years to join its established youth band.
All musical abilities are welcomed.
Beginners will start in the beginners section, before progressing into the youth band.
The band rehearse weekly at Bathgate Band Hall, Unit 6, Houstoun Interchange Business Park, Livingston EH54 5DW.
For fuller information about joining the band, visit the Bathgate Youth Band Facebook or Twitter pages.
Awards nominations for sporting night
West Lothian has two nominations at the FPSG Scottish Athletics and Jogscotland Annual Awards dinner in Glasgow on Saturday 3 November.
Lorna Simpson, from Let's Go Linlithgow, has been nominated and shortlisted as Jog Leader of the Year, whilst Livingston Athletic Club are nominated and shortlisted in the Impact Club of the Year category.
The special guest for the evening is Dame Kelly Holmes.
Students' Christmas Fair at college
Event students at West Lothian College are holding a Christmas Craft Fair from 9am - 4pm on Friday 7 December.
Stalls will include gifts, crafts and home baking.
There will also be a raffle and tombola.
One of the local schools will be singing Christmas Carols on the day.
Entry is free.
Bliss Christmas party
Tickets are now available for a Christmas Party in aid of the charity Bliss, which helps parents of premature and sick babies.
The 'Baubles for Bliss' party will take place at the Hilcroft Hotel, Whitburn, from 11am - 2pm on Sunday 16 December.
Activities include a disco, buffet, shopping opportunities from body shop at home and others, plus a festive special guest visit and gift for youngsters.
Tickets cost £15. Under 1s are free, but must have a ticketed number for final head count. For fuller information, email Tickets
Macmillan @ West Lothian
Sometimes you might just need someone to talk to. Macmillan drop in service provides a safe and welcoming space for you to talk about how you are feeling and any worries you might have.
Macmillan @ West Lothian can help you find all the right services in your local area. These include access to
- benefits advice
- free counselling
- links to other relevant local organisations
- practical issues including travel
Visit Macmillan drop in services at:-
Bathgate Partnership Centre
- Monday 10am - 1pm
- Thursday 1pm - 3pm
Blackburn Partnership Centre
- Monday 1.30pm - 3.30pm
Strathbrock Partnership Centre
- Wednesday 1pm - 3pm
- Friday 10am - 12:30pm
- Wednesday 11am - 1pm
- Thursday 10am - 12pm
Fauldhouse Partnership Centre
- Tuesday 10am - 12pm
There is no need to make an appointment just drop in
This is a free service for anyone affected by cancer their family or carers. For more information contact 01506 283053 or email Macmillan West Lothian
Help offered to families affected by suicide
The charity Neil's Hugs Foundation offers help, understanding and support to families and friends in West Lothian affected by suicide.
The objective of the charity is to assist people in West Lothian, surrounding areas and eventually all over Scotland who are affected by the attempted or completed suicide of a family member or friend.
Its aims are:
- To support family members or friends who are struggling to cope with the attempted or completed suicide of someone they care about
- To raise awareness of the issue of suicide
- To reduce the stigma attached to suicide
- To provide a safe space to talk about love ones
- To improve mental health of people affected by the loss of a loved one or friend
- To reduce suicide rates by sign posting people to organisations which can help support their loved one or friend
Livingston Parkrun takes place from 9.30am every Saturday, setting off from outside the west end of the Civic Centre.
The parkrun follows a 5k route that you can follow at your own pace. All runners, joggers and walkers are welcome.
Children U11 years will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult.
It's free to take part, but runners require to register before their first run.
Full information is available from: Livingston Parkrun website
You can also view a short video at: Livingston Parkrun video
- Add your local group to our listings
- Find local groups, clubs and societies
- Armadale and Blackridge - news
- Bathgate - news
- Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh - news
- East Livingston and East Calder - news
- Fauldhouse and Breich Valley - news
- Linlithgow - news
- Livingston North - news
- Livingston South - news
- Whitburn and Blackburn - news