You can use Community News to tell people in your local community and throughout West Lothian what is happening in your area and publicise your events and initiatives.
We have dedicated pages for your council ward so you will be able to find out what is happening locally. If you have any news, just email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01506 282001. We can also accept pictures, although you must guarantee that you have permission from anyone who appears in the picture that it can be published online. The content of the Community News page is subject to copyright and should not be copied without permission
Engagement event for BSL users and people with sensory loss
An engagement event for British Sign Language (BSL) users and people with sensory loss is being held at the Ability Centre, Carmondean, Livingston, on Tuesday 5 June.
The purpose of the event, organised by the council and Carers of West Lothian, is to make people aware of new information and support services available for people with disabilities and those with sensory loss.
You can drop in to the engagement event any time between 5pm and 8pm.
Fuller information is available from the short video below:
Afternoon tea for Food Train
An afternoon tea, in aid of West Lothian Food Train, is being held at Pumpherston Bowling Club from 1pm - 3pm on Friday 1 June.
Tickets are £5, available on entry.
There will also be a raffle on the day.
Coaches wanted by Wildcats
West Lothian Wildcats Netball Club are looking for volunteer coaches to get involved at the club for the 2018/19 netball season.
Anyone interested should contact the club on Wildcats
Music festival in Armadale
Armadale Community Centre management committee are holding a music festival on Friday 18 and Saturday 19 May.
The first night is a Battle of the bands.
Artistes / bands can enter up until Tuesday, 1 May.
For fuller details check the Armadale Partnership Centre Facebook page or email email@example.com
The winning band will have a song of their choice recorded and put on iTunes and Spotify, along with custom artwork. They will also receive free local rehearsal space opportunities.
Anyone for tennis?
Annual memberships for Kirkton Park Community Tennis Courts are now available.
Memberships start from £25 and provide unlimited use of the refurbished tennis courts throughout the year.
Full details and booking information for the courts can be found at the link: Kirkton Park Tennis Club
Inveralmond girls' F1 fundraisers
The girls from Inveralmond Community High School's 'Team velocity' have embarked on a series of fundraisers to get them to the F1 in Schools challenge world finals in Singapore.
The team, made up of Chloe Adam, Beth Lewis, Amy Shaw, Nicole Mulrainey, Katie Saunders and Megan Cleaver, are now faced with the task of raising just short of £30,000 to pay for flights, accommodation, resources and competition fees in order to compete at the World Finals, which take place in September.
Fundraisers organised so far include a Zumbathon on Friday 22 June.
The girls, who are looking for a sponsor and donations of raffle prizes for their race night, have also set up a gofundme page at the link: gofundme
You can also get fuller information at the following Facebook page: Velocity racing Facebook
Gig Buddies live music event
A Gig Buddies inclusive evening of live music to celebrate Learning Disability awareness week will take place at the Midnight Breakfast Club, 4 Gardeners Lane, Bathgate, from 7.30pm on Friday 18 May.
Entry is £5 on the night and carers will be admitted for free.
Help offered to families affected by suicide
The charity Neil's Hugs Foundation offers help, understanding and support to families and friends in West Lothian affected by suicide.
The objective of the charity is to assist people in West Lothian, surrounding areas and eventually all over Scotland who are affected by the attempted or completed suicide of a family member or friend.
Its aims are:
- To support family members or friends who are struggling to cope with the attempted or completed suicide of someone they care about
- To raise awareness of the issue of suicide
- To reduce the stigma attached to suicide
- To provide a safe space to talk about love ones
- To improve mental health of people affected by the loss of a loved one or friend
- To reduce suicide rates by sign posting people to organisations which can help support their loved one or friend
Paracise classes for over 50s
Ageing Well Paracise classes, aimed at the over 50s, will shortly be starting at a number of venues across West Lothian.
Paracise is a gentle but effective workout that flows smoothly through movements designed to improve mobility, flexibility and balance.
Classes are as below:
- Weekly class starting Monday 21 May at Livingston Station Community Centre, Livingston 10.30am - 11.15am
- Weekly class starting Tuesday 8 May at Mosswood Community Centre, Knightsridge, Livingston 11.am - 11.45am
- Weekly class starting Tuesday 8 May St John's Hall, Torphichen 12.15 - 1pm.
- Weekly class starting Wednesday 9 May Armadale Community Centre, North Street, Armadale 10.30am - 11.15am
All classes are £3 per person or free to Xcite POL and Premier Members. There is no need to book.
For fuller information, contact Avril Clerkson Ageing Well co-ordinator on 01506 237950 or 07768 090 008 or email Avril Clerkson
Macmillan drop in service
Sometimes you might just need someone to talk to. Macmillan drop in service provides a safe and welcoming space for you to talk about how you are feeling and any worries you might have.
Macmillan @ West Lothian can help you find all the right services in your local area. These include access to
- benefits advice
- free counselling
- links to other relevant local organisations
- practical issues including travel
Visit Macmillan drop in services at:-
Bathgate Partnership Centre
- Monday 10am - 1pm
- Thursday 1pm - 3pm
Strathbrock Partnership Centre
- Wednesday 1pm - 3pm
- Friday 10am - 12:30pm
- Wednesday 11am - 1pm
- Thursday 10am - 12pm
Fauldhouse Partnership Centre
- Tuesday 10am - 12pm
There is no need to make an appointment just drop in
This is a free service for anyone affected by cancer their family or carers. For more information contact 01506 283053 or email Macmillan West Lothian
Hockey players wanted
Livingston and West Lothian Hockey Club is looking for new players.
Training takes place on a Wednesday evening at Inveralmond Community High School.
Under 14s are from 6.30pm - 8pm and over 14s, ladies and men's training takes place from 7.30pm - 9pm.
Anyone interested in joining the hockey club can email Trisha for fuller information on Livingston and West Lothian Hockey Club or just turn up at the appropriate time.
Art Association exhibition
Livingston Art Association will be holding their 48th annual art exhibition at Howden Park Centre from Friday 20 April to Sunday 27 May.
Everyone is welcome to the preview night on 20 April from 7.30pm - 9pm.
Thereafter, the exhibition will be open from 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday and 10am - 5pm on weekends.
Framed and unframed original artwork and ceramics by local artists will be exhibited.
May's Put Your West Foot Forward walks
- Tuesday 1: 10am Armadale Community Centre Town Walk East
- Tuesday 1: 10am Craigshill Shopping Mall for Howden Riverside
- Wednesday 2: 10am Linlithgow Tesco Linlithgow Bridge or Longcroft Gdns
- Wednesday 2: 10am RVS Broxburn Strathbrock Partnership Centre 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Wednesday 2: 7 pm Livingston Inn Car Park for mystery walk
- Monday 7: 10.15am Bathgate Tesco for Pyramids
- Tuesday 8: 10am Armadale Community Centre for Town Walk West
- Tuesday 8: 10am Craigshill Shopping Mall to Dedridge Pond
- Wednesday: 9 10am Linlithgow Tesco short or long Canal East Linear Walks
- Wednesday 9: 10am RVS Broxburn Strathbrock Partnership Centre 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Wednesday 9: 7 pm Livingston Inn Car Park for mystery walk
- Monday 14: 10.15am Bathgate Partnership Centre to Little Boghead
- Tuesday 15: 10am St Anthony's primary School to railway station
- Tuesday 15: 10am Livingston Rugby Club Mid for Calder River Walk
- Wednesday: 16 10am Linlithgow Tesco Loch Circular or Loch Walk
- Wednesday: 16 10am RVS Broxburn Strathbrock Partnership Centre 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Wednesday: 16 7 pm Livingston Inn Car Park for mystery walk
- Monday: 21 10.15am Bathgate Old Library, Hopetoun Street, to Morrisons
- Tuesday: 22 10am St Anthony's Primary School to Blackmoss
- Tuesday: 22 10am Craigshill Shopping Mall to Almondvale Stadium
- Wednesday: 23 10am Linlithgow Tesco short or long Canal West Linear Walks
- Wednesday: 23 10am RVS Broxburn Strathbrock Partnership Centre 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Wednesday 23 7 pm Livingston Inn Car Park for mystery walk
- Monday 28: 10.15am Bathgate Tesco to Kirkton Park
- Tuesday 29: 10am Armadale bus for walk round Beecraigs Loch
- Tuesday 29: 10am Craigshill Shopping Mall for Almond Amble
- Wednesday 30: 10am Linlithgow Tesco Springfield Perimeter or Grange View
- Wednesday 30: 10am RVS Broxburn Strathbrock Partnership Centre 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Wednesday 30: 7pm Livingston Inn Car Park for mystery walk
For fuller information on all walks, phone 01506 775626.
Volunteers wanted for West Lothian Carers
Carers of West Lothian's Young Carers Support Service is looking to recruit volunteers to help out with its young carer groups.
The groups work with eight to 18-year-old young people and cover the whole of West Lothian.
For fuller information, or to request an application form, please get in touch with Wilma on 01506 448009.
Armed Forces Day activity
This year's Armed Forces Day activities will take place on the grassed area to the south-side of the Civic Centre from 3pm - 6pm on Sunday 1 July.
There will be a parade, short service, entertainment, inflatable fun assault course, tug-of-war challenge, paintball firing range, the annual tri-cadet force challenge and various service-related information stalls.
All activities are free of charge and everyone is welcome.
Livingston Parkrun takes place from 9.30am every Saturday, setting off from outside the west end of the Civic Centre.
The parkrun follows a 5k route that you can follow at your own pace. All runners, joggers and walkers are welcome.
Children U11 years will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult.
It's free to take part, but runners require to register before their first run.
Full information is available from: Livingston Parkrun website
You can also view a short video at: Livingston Parkrun video
- Add your local group to our listings
- Find local groups, clubs and societies
- Armadale and Blackridge - news
- Bathgate - news
- Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh - news
- East Livingston and East Calder - news
- Fauldhouse and Breich Valley - news
- Linlithgow - news
- Livingston North - news
- Livingston South - news
- Whitburn and Blackburn - news
- Ecclesmachan and Threemiletown Gala Day
- Parkhead Children's Gala
- Mid Calder Children's Gala Day
- Torphichen Children's Gala Day
- Uphall Children's Gala Day
- Uphall Station Gala Day
- East Calder and District Gala
- Fauldhouse Children's Gala Day
- Blackburn Children's Gala Day
- Harthill, Eastfield and Greenrigg Children's Gala Day
- Linlithgow Marches
- Armadale Children's Gala Day
- Kirknewton Gala Day
- Linlithgow & Linlithgow Bridge Children's Gala Day
- Deans Gala Day
- Loganlea and District Gala Day
- Winchburgh and District Children's Gala Day
- Polbeth Children's Gala Day
- Blackridge, Westrigg and Westcraigs Gala Day
- Seafield and District Children's Gala
- Stoneyburn and Bents Children's Gala
- Whitburn Gala Day
- Broxburn Gala Day
- Bathgate Procession and John Newland Festival