You can use Community News to tell people in your local community and throughout West Lothian what is happening in your area and publicise your events and initiatives.
We have dedicated pages for your council ward so you will be able to find out what is happening locally. If you have any news, just email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01506 282001. We can also accept pictures, although you must guarantee that you have permission from anyone who appears in the picture that it can be published online. The content of the Community News page is subject to copyright and should not be copied without permission
Community litter pick
A community woodland litter-pick is being organised by Livingston United Parish Church from 1pm - 3pm on Sunday 30 September.
Refreshments will be available from 2.30pm.
Anyone wishing to take part should meet at Nether Dechmont Community Centre.
Singing Children of Africa at Harrysmuir
The Singing Children of Africa joined together with their friends in the Harrysmuir Primary School choir to provide an appreciative audience with some superb entertainment.
You can also watch a short video of the finale performance below:
Mid Calder ceilidh
The rescheduled Mid Calder Ceilidh with Rhuvaal and 5 Strings will take place on Saturday 6 October.
Up-and-coming Campbeltown trad act Rhuvaal will be performing, along with energetic local lads 5 Strings.
There will also be a raffle to raise money for Mid Calder Children's Gala & Mid Calder Tartan Army.
Tickets cost £10. Kids under 10 go free.
For tickets, and fuller information, visit the link: Ceilidh tickets
Bliss Christmas party
Tickets are now available for a Christmas Party in aid of the charity Bliss, which helps parents of premature and sick babies.
The 'Baubles for Bliss' party will take place at the Hilcroft Hotel, Whitburn, from 11am - 2pm on Sunday 16 December.
Activities include a disco, buffet, shopping opportunities from body shop at home and others, plus a festive special guest visit and gift for youngsters.
Tickets cost £15. Under 1s are free, but must have a ticketed number for final head count. For fuller information, email Tickets
September's Put Your West Foot Forward walks
- Mon 3 10:15am Bathgate Old Library Balbardie Park
- Tues 4 10am Armadale Community Centre Town Walk East
- Tues 4 10am Craigshill Craigsfarm Almond Amble
- Wed 5 7pm Livingston Evening Livi South Train Station route decided on the night
- Wed 5 10am Linlithgow Tesco Dark Entry / Canal Walk
- Wed 5 10am Royal Voluntary Strathbrock Partnership 30 minutes, flat, easy walk
- Mon 10 10:15am Bathgate Tesco Cycle Path
- Tues 11 10am Armadale Community Centre Town Walk West
- Tues 11 10am Craigshill Craigsfarm Secret Garden
- Wed 12 7pm Livingston Evening Livi South Train Station route decided on the night
- Wed 12 10am Linlithgow Tesco Loch Circular / Loch Walk
- Wed 12 10am Royal Voluntary Strathbrock Partnership 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Mon 17 10:15am Bathgate Partnership Centre Easton Bing
- Tues 18 10am Armadale Railway Station Cycle Path East
- Tues 18 10am Craigshill Livingston Rugby Club Almondell Visitor Centre
- Wed 19 7pm Livingston Evening Livi South Train Station route decided on the night
- Wed 19 10am Linlithgow Tesco Springfield grange / Grange View
- Wed 19 10am Royal Voluntary Strathbrock Partnership 30 minute, flat, easy walk
- Mon 24 10:15am Bathgate Old Library Balbardie Park
- Tues 25 10am Armadale Railway Station Cycle Path West
- Tues 25 10am Craigshill Craigsfarm Civic Centre Circuit
- Wed 26 7pm Livingston Evening Livi South Train Station route decided on the night
- Wed 26 10am Linlithgow Sport's Centre Canal West Walk
- Wed 26 10am Royal Voluntary Strathbrock Partnership 30 minute, flat, easy walk
For fuller information on all walks, phone 01506 775626.
Colourful gala day in Broxburn
The sunshine brought out the carnival colours at Broxburn Gala Day on Saturday 25 August
You can see pictures from the parade at the council's Flickr site and also view a short video below:
Living Memory Association
The Living Memory Association has reopened at The Centre, Livingston.
This time round, they are based in the aisle opposite Iceland
The group aims to bring people together through reminiscence and oral history work.
Charity fundraiser for Brightest Star
A young Blackridge woman is holding an action-packed family night to raise funds for the Brightest Star charity.
The charity supports bereaved families and was founded in memory of youngster Jack Kennedy, who suddenly fell asleep in his mummy's arms six days before his sixth birthday.
The family night, organised by Jade Manson, will take place in the Cavalier Inn, Armadale, from 7pm on Saturday 8 September.
The evening will take the form of a disco, with raffle, tombola, live singers and more.
Tickets cost £5 for adults and £3 for children aged five and under.
Tickets can be obtained by sending the money to the link : with full names and the number of tickets required.
"There's a limited number of tickets," said Jade, "so please get them as soon as possible."
Macmillan drop in service
Sometimes you might just need someone to talk to. Macmillan drop in service provides a safe and welcoming space for you to talk about how you are feeling and any worries you might have.
Macmillan @ West Lothian can help you find all the right services in your local area. These include access to
- benefits advice
- free counselling
- links to other relevant local organisations
- practical issues including travel
Visit Macmillan drop in services at:-
Bathgate Partnership Centre
- Monday 10am - 1pm
- Thursday 1pm - 3pm
Blackburn Partnership Centre
- Monday 1.30pm - 3.30pm
Strathbrock Partnership Centre
- Wednesday 1pm - 3pm
- Friday 10am - 12:30pm
- Wednesday 11am - 1pm
- Thursday 10am - 12pm
Fauldhouse Partnership Centre
- Tuesday 10am - 12pm
There is no need to make an appointment just drop in
This is a free service for anyone affected by cancer their family or carers. For more information contact 01506 283053 or email Macmillan West Lothian
Sailing course at Lowport
Following a great summer after-school sailing course, the Low Port Centre is now offering an autumn 6-week Monday evening course.
This course, costing £105, is open not only to those who took part in the summer term, but also absolute beginners of primary 6 & 7 age. There are eight places available.
Participants will work towards Royal Yachting Association awards. After changing into sailing gear, participants will go down to the loch and play with sailing boats for several hours each session, exact timing is dependent on weather/daylight hours. Participants will be ready to go home after changing between 7.30pm and 8pm.
The training dates will be as follows: 27 August, 3, 10 and 24 September and 1 and 8 October.
Anyone interested should contact the Low Port Centre on 01506 340720 or email Lowport and ask for an information letter.
Volunteers wanted for Gig Buddies
Gig Buddies is looking for volunteers in West Lothian.
The project supports people with a learning disability to get out to more gigs and live events by pairing them with a volunteer who shares the same interests.
If you live locally and want more information on how to support someone to get out to more gigs that you both love, get in touch with project co-ordinator Sam Maggs at: Gig Buddies or phone 07738 486 001.
Hand-made poppies wanted for War memorial
To mark 100 years since the end of World War 1, Uphall Community Council are hoping to cover the railings in front of the War Memorial with knitted, crocheted or felt poppies.
Anyone able to help is asked to bring their poppies into Uphall Community Centre and leave them at the office. Please also leave a length of yarn for the poppies to be attached.
Knitting patterns for the poppies can also be picked up from the community centre.
Help offered to families affected by suicide
The charity Neil's Hugs Foundation offers help, understanding and support to families and friends in West Lothian affected by suicide.
The objective of the charity is to assist people in West Lothian, surrounding areas and eventually all over Scotland who are affected by the attempted or completed suicide of a family member or friend.
Its aims are:
- To support family members or friends who are struggling to cope with the attempted or completed suicide of someone they care about
- To raise awareness of the issue of suicide
- To reduce the stigma attached to suicide
- To provide a safe space to talk about love ones
- To improve mental health of people affected by the loss of a loved one or friend
- To reduce suicide rates by sign posting people to organisations which can help support their loved one or friend
Livingston Parkrun takes place from 9.30am every Saturday, setting off from outside the west end of the Civic Centre.
The parkrun follows a 5k route that you can follow at your own pace. All runners, joggers and walkers are welcome.
Children U11 years will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult.
It's free to take part, but runners require to register before their first run.
Full information is available from: Livingston Parkrun website
You can also view a short video at: Livingston Parkrun video
- Add your local group to our listings
- Find local groups, clubs and societies
- Armadale and Blackridge - news
- Bathgate - news
- Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh - news
- East Livingston and East Calder - news
- Fauldhouse and Breich Valley - news
- Linlithgow - news
- Livingston North - news
- Livingston South - news
- Whitburn and Blackburn - news