West Lothian Council takes action on Climate Change
Climate change is one of the greatest challenges of our time. Scotland is a global leader in addressing this challenge and West Lothian Council is playing its part by taking measures to help mitigate and adapt to it.
As a local authority, the council is bound by the Public Bodies Climate Change Duties to monitor and reduce our emissions.
To achieve these targets, climate change and sustainability are embedded within the governance structure of the council, driven by the Climate Change and Sustainability Working Group.
Further to this, there are a wide range of climate change related projects underway, some highlights of which are listed below.
- Development of the council's renewable energy capacity
- Energy efficiency works across a range of buildings
- Promoting sustainable transport guidance for staff
- Provision of waste education, minimisation and recycling resources for students, teachers, staff and Facilities Management at schools
- Provision of energy efficiency support and advice for communities
- Development and implementation of active travel projects (e.g. bicycle recycling scheme), Green Travel Plans and sustainable transport infrastructure
- Improved management and regeneration of parks and play areas
- Air quality monitoring and the Switch-Off campaign for vehicles emissions
- Promoting recycling and, in particular, food waste recycling across our communities. New glass recycling and improved waste segregation facilities also being rolled out.
In addition to the efforts to reduce our emissions, there are a number of climate change adaptation projects underway in order to ensure that the natural, built and social environments are equipped to withstand the effects of our changing climate. Some highlights include:
- Development of a Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan
- Severe Weather Plan
- Local Flood Risk Management plan (2016)
- Peatland restoration projects
- Woodland expansion projects
- Meadow management and wildflower planting
A full report on everything that the council is doing to mitigate and adapt to climate change is published annually with our Scottish Climate Change Declaration Report, which is published on the Sustainable Scotland Network website.