Dealing with Loss and Bereavement
During the Covid 19 crisis, it is possible that some employees will experience bereavement themselves. They may also may have friends or be working with colleagues or clients that may have to deal with bereavement. Current social distancing measures have meant that there are significant restrictions around end of life care and arrangements of funerals for all deaths. Individuals and families are restricted in the ways that they might usually express and cope with grief and loss, and are prevented from taking part in some of the rituals which normally provide comfort when we experience the loss of loved ones. For more information and support please consult the following sites:
- NHS Lothian Bereavement Support provides specific information on the current arrangements during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Scottish Government Bereavement Support provide a wide range of practical advice on dealing with bereavement and loss.
- Cruise Scotland Bereavement Support offers bereavement support.
- Grief Encounter Bereavement Support offers advice and activities to support children and young people facing and experiencing bereavement.
You may also find these websites if dealing with bereavement in the course of your job:
- The NHS Education for Scotland website Support around death (SAD) is for healthcare staff on the clinical, legislative, and practical issues involved. The advice provided is practical and useful for all professionals.
- The Childhood Bereavement Network offers advice for those experiencing loss and supporting people through bereavement. They offer information specific to teachers, as well as information specifically for COVID-19