Search site

Torphichen Preceptory - Historic Monument

Torphichen village was, in ancient times, a regality which belonged to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, and at the time of the Reformation was transferred to Lord Torphichen. The Preceptory was founded in 1153 as the first property held by the Knights in Scotland. The nave of the Preceptory is now the parish church, which was rebuilt in the 18th century.

Address: Torphichen Preceptory, near Bathgate.

Town: Torphichen

Times: The Preceptory is open Easter weekend - end September. Saturday: 1.00pm - 5.00pm & Sunday: 1.00pm - 5.00pm. Also bank Holidays: 1.00pm - 5.00pm. Visits by prior arrangement during the week by contacting the number above. The adjoining parish church is open throughout the year for Sunday worship.

Disabled facilities: One step to double gate. Only the ground floor is accessible. No disabled toilets.

Eligibility: All welcome.

Contact: Mr James Robertson 01501751613

             Mr Ian Wallace 01506845700

Online: Torphichen Preceptory - Historic Monument