In signing up to the Armed Forces Community Covenant, the covenant partners are striving to ensure that Serving Personnel, Veterans and their families are not disadvantaged by serving their country.
A common difficulty encountered by ex-service personnel on leaving the Armed Forces is knowing where to go to get the support they require when they need it most. So, we have developed what we hope you will find to be an easy to navigate page with links to the most commonly required services, set out in easy to use groups. You will find contact details and helpful information by following the links.
Services and Support
We have not tried to cover every conceivable service and organisation here, only those which are the most commonly required services. However, if you are aware of an additional service you think should be included, please click here to e-mail details to us of the service and its web address.
Medical Services & SupportMedical Services and Support
"West Lothian is well served by medical and other support services. To search for details of your local Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacy, Hospital, Travel Clinic or Sexual Health Clinic visit Find Your Local on NHS24 and use your Post Code.
Alternatively, use the following links for more general information:
Click the following links for details of:
- Dental Surgeries in West Lothian - addresses, hours & contact details
- Doctors' Surgeries and Health Centres in West Lothian - addresses, hours & contact details
- Hospital Services in the NHS Lothian Region - addresses & contact details
- Veterans First Point - "V1P" is a service designed by veterans for veterans. It is run under the clinical direction of the NHS and is a one-stop shop for veterans and their families, providing holistic welfare and psychological support.
- Accommodation Finder - search for available rental accommodation across West Lothian, and access links to council housing services and local housing associations.
- Advice Shop - Open Monday to Friday in Bathgate Partnership Centre, and also providing advice and information by phone or online about Benefits, Housing, Energy, Money/Debt and many other topics.
- Careers Advice - careers advice, council vacancies and information on Job Centres. Did you know that Job Centre Plus has a dedicated Armed Forces advisor?
- Find a Local School - tool to find your local school
- Education - a wealth of useful information, such as school performance data, school session dates, information about your local school etc.
- Housing - this link takes you to housing advice and assistance. Did you know that West Lothian is home to over 170,000 people and has the fastest growing population in Scotland!
General Advice and Support
Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)
CAB West Lothian manages the Edinburgh and Lothians Armed Services Advice Project through our regional support team - Alan Hamilton MBE and Charlie Walker.
The project has been running in this area since November 2012 but has been successfully operating in Scotland for a number of years. The project is here to help the Armed Forces Community (AFC) who fall into 4 groups:
- Currently Serving - Those who are currently serving in HM Armed Forces, whether as a Regular or as a Reservist a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations.
- Veterans - Those who have served for at least a day in HM Armed Forces, whether as a Regular or as a Reservist or as a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations.
- Immediate families and dependants of Regular Personnel, Reservists and Veterans of those in the categories listed above.
- Bereaved - The immediate family of Service Personnel and veterans who have died, whether or not that death has any connection with Service.
For further help please come into the bureau or call. If that's not possible please send us an email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) and one of the team will get back to you as quickly as possible.
If you would like further information on this project please contact the Bureau on 01506 444814.
Citizen's Advice Bureau West Lothian
Citizen's Advice Bureau West Lothian provides confidential, impartial advice, information and assistance. This includes debt counselling, welfare benefits, legal issues, employment, consumer and housing issues.
MOD Service Leavers Guide
MOD Service Leavers Guide is an electronic copy of the service leavers booklet which provides help and advice on a range of topics for those planning their transition to civilian life.
Royal British Legion Scotland
Royal British Legion Scotland has branches and clubs across Scotland, and locally in West Lothian at Linburn (East Calder), Livingston and Bathgate. RBLS provides comradeship, advice and support, and organises events and competitions. Use this link to find your nearest RBLS and find out more.
ssafa is a charity providing practical, emotional and financial support to serving forces, veterans and their families.
Veterans Assist Scotland
Veterans Assist Scotland is a highly informative website, offering a wealth of information and contact details on everything from education, employment and housing to War Disablement pensions.