Livingston became a Fairtrade Town in March 2006.
The Livingston Fairtrade committee worked hard towards getting their Fairtrade Town status and this commitment was rewarded in March 2006. To celebrate their new title the participants held an event in May at Livingston's Football Club inviting all those who had helped them reach this stage. The first year anniversary has now past and much has been achieved.
The group has successfully continued to encourage the number of establishments stocking Fairtrade in Livingston. In their initial year as a Fairtrade Town they have managed to increase the number of catering premises, faith communities and schools that use Fairtrade products.
Livingston Fairtrade Activities:
The group continues to ensure that Fairtrade continues to be promoted in and around Livingston. They have achieved this by: setting up Fairtrade stalls in local supermarkets as part of One World Week and Fairtrade Fortnight. Actively participating in Fairtrade Fortnight by liaising with West Lothian's other Fairtrade groups. This involved holding a local event, which included a performance by the West Lothian Youth Theatre, stalls selling Fairtrade goods and a talk on the value of Fairtrade and holding regular Traidcraft events in many of the local churches and ensuring that the local media is updated on its activities.
Who's in the Livingston Fairtrade Steering Group?
- St Andrews Church
- Carmondean Church
- Dedridge Baptist Church
- Carmondean Church
- Deans High School
- Lanthorn Church
- West Lothian Council
- Buying Fairtrade products in Livingston Shops
- Marks and Spencer Food Hall, Units 12 - 15 Livingston Designer Outlet Centre
- Somerfield's Super Store, The Mall
- Morning Noon & Night Store, Main Street, Deans
- Holland & Barrett, Almondvale
- Asda, East side of Almondvale Centre
- Co-op, Eliburn, Murieston
- Costa Coffee, Almondvale Shopping Centre
- Almond Valley Heritage Trust, Millfield, Livingston Village
- Livingston Football Club - Almondvale Suite, Almondvale Stadium Rd
- Livingston Football Club - Lounge Bar, Almondvale Stadium Rd
- O'Briens - Almondvale Shopping Centre
- O'Briens - Livingston Designer Outlet
- Starbucks - Livingston Designer Outlet
- Thorntons - Livingston Designer Outlet
- B & B's Coffee and Muffins - Almondvale Shopping Centre, Almondvale South
- Morrisons, Alexander Drive
- Baker's Oven, Almondvale Shopping Centre
- Greggs, Almondvale Shopping Centre
- Livingston Football Club
- Almondvale Stadium
- West Lothian Council, West Lothian Civic Centre
- Howden South Road
- Livingston; Horizon Housing Association Limited
- Leving House
- Fairbairn Place
- Labour Constituency Office
- Pentland House.
- Dedridge Parish, Lanthorn, Kenilworth Rise
- Murieston Parish, Lanthorn, Kenilworth Rise
- St Paul's Parish Church, Ladywell
- St Columbia's Parish Church, Sydney St, Craigshill
- St Andrew's & Livingston Old, Deans
- St Philip's Roman Catholic Church, Lanthorn, Kenilworth Rise
- Carmondean Parish Church, Fells Rigg
- Dedridge Baptist Church, Quentin Rise, Dedridge
- St. John Ogilvie
- St. Ninians
- Dean's Community High
- St Andrew's Roman Catholic Church
- St Peters Roman Catholic Church
- Community Organisations
- Salvation Army, Templar Rise, Howden
The Livingston group intend to continue the growth of Fairtrade use in Livingston. They also plan to put together a Fairtrade Directory for Livingston, so visitors and shoppers will be able to easily source Fairtrade products in the town. If you would like to join the Livingston Fairtrade Steering Group or would like to find out more please contact Andy on 01506 494505.