Free Home Security for Pensioners Scheme
The Home Security Project has been delivered since 2000 by West Lothian Council. Its purpose is to offer a range of simple home security measures to pensioners living in West Lothian.
The installations are free of charge and will be undertaken by the Council's Building Services Operatives.
Who Qualifies for the Project?
- Any male or female, 60 years and over, living in West Lothian are eligible to apply for inclusion in the scheme.
- All household members must be 60 years or pensioners who provide care within the household to a person under the age of 60 years.
- Home Security for Pensioners will be to owner-occupiers, council tenants, housing association tenants and private rented tenants. Both housing association and private rented tenants are required to seek the permission of their landlord prior to applying for home security measures.
The Home Security Project will offer a free installation service. In addition, installation teams will also offer advice to applicants to establish the most convenient location for the measures to be installed. This advice and agreement will take place during the installation visit by the Council's workforce.
Applicants may choose any of the following components - but not more than once
- Motion activated security light
- Phone intercom system
- Window locks throughout the home
- Door chain
- Door spy hole
Once home security measures have been installed, the Council will repair/replace all faulty components for one year.
Although the home security measures installed have relatively low maintenance requirements, households should consider their ability to maintain the installation in the long term. West Lothian Council will only maintain the measures installed to council houses. Owner occupiers and housing association tenants will be responsible for all future maintenance.
In some cases, owners of private properties may require to arrange for work to be undertaken, at their own expense, to accommodate a home security installation. Recent examples of these occurrences include removing minor areas textured decorative coatings and renewal electrical components, both of which may contain small amounts of asbestos. The Council's installation teams will advise if these measures are warranted.
- Free Home Security for Pensioners Scheme Application Form
- Information on data protection and privacy may be found here.