Vehicle Access - Dropped Kerbs
If you want to lower a kerb or pavement - to create a driveway, for example - you must employ an approved Contractor who, in turn, must apply for a permit from Operational Services, Roads and Transportation team.
What should I do?
Before the authority gives the go-ahead, we must receive a letter notifying us of your intentions. The Council would then assess whether the kerb can be lowered - and whether the alteration meets the specification requirements needed.
You can write to us at:
Roads and Transportation Service
7 Whitestone Place
Whitehill Industrial Estate
Customers can also complete the online eform for a Vehicle Drop Kerb Request by completing the following - Dropped Kerb Request
It is unlikely West Lothian Council will carry out these works for you, however, on occasion where we are carrying out major footway maintenance works directly outside your home then we may offer you this service. A charge may apply which can vary depending on the extent of the maintenance works and the specific requirements at each property.
Applying for Permits
Once you have made your application a roads inspector will evaluate it and confirm if your application has either been approved or rejected. If the application has been approved then contractors undertaking works on your behalf need to obtain a permit from Roads Maintenance before commencing works. Before the permit is granted the Contractor must provide Public Liability insurance and prove they are a registered waste carrier.
- A permit for a drop crossing is currently charged at £36.72, however for further details please contact us.
- Permits are issued by email by Roads and Transportation Services.
We aim to:
- Carry out an initial evaluation within 5 working days of receipt of an application for a drop crossing/vehicle access. This will involve an inspection of the proposed site to ensure the access position complies with the safety of road users. We will then respond to customers within 10 working days.
- Where the application is successful, formal notification will be issued as above with an information pack giving standard details and specification
- Issue the necessary permit, which will be made available during working hours at our business address, to the approved Contractor.
- Inspect completed dropped crossings to ensure that these have been constructed in accordance with the specification provided.