Parking for Disabled People
Parking for Disabled People
West Lothian Council recognises that people with disabilities often have difficulty in carrying out their everyday activities because they cannot find convenient parking. The council has introduced a number of measures to help you park nearer your home and public places.
To qualify for all disabled persons' parking facilities you must be a Blue Badge holder. Information about the Blue Badge Scheme and an application form can be obtained from Council Information Services, any Council Library or by telephoning 01506 280000.
Residential Disabled Persons' Parking Places
The council can provide a marked disabled persons' parking place on the road near your home. To qualify, you must be a blue badge holder and have a suitable vehicle registered at your address. However, sometimes the council may not be able to provide a parking bay, even though you meet the criteria, because of local planning or traffic considerations.
The Scottish Parliament recently introduced new legislation aimed at making all disabled persons' parking bays enforceable by the police.
If we are able to provide a parking bay near your home, the following will then happen:
- We will arrange to mark the bay on the road in the location agreed with yourself. This should happen within six weeks of confirming your application has been successful. At this stage, the bay is NOT enforceable.
- We will then start the legal procedure to make the bay enforceable. This will involve advertising our intention to make the bay and inviting objections. If any objections are received, this will delay the process.
- If there are no objections, we will finalise the legal process and erect a sign at the parking bay. At this point, the bay becomes legally enforceable by the police and you must display your blue badge at all times when parked in the bay. This can take up to 9 months from confirming your application is successful.
Apply for a residential disabled persons' parking facility
If you wish to apply for a residential disabled persons' parking facility, please download and print the application form [98kb] and return to Roads and Transportation Services, Whitehill Service Centre, North Site, 4 Inchmuir Road, Whitehill Industrial Estate, Bathgate, West Lothian, EH48 2EP
You need to include:
- A photocopy of your blue badge
- A photocopy of your vehicle registration document (V5 or log book).
- If you have a Motability car, please contact Motability on 0300 456 4566 for a copy of the vehicle registration document. Currently these are provided free of charge.
Alternatively, you can contact Customer Services on 01506 280000 for advice and an application form.
Residential On-Street Disabled Parking Places Policy
The council's policy on on-street disabled parking place provision [80kb] was agreed in September 2011. The policy sets out how West Lothian Council will implement the ongoing requirements of section 5 of the Disabled Persons Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009 (DPPP Act). In particular, it explains how we will deal with certain issues which are not specifically covered by the Act. The policy has been developed in conjunction with local groups representing disabled people and supersedes all previous policies on the provision of Disabled Persons Parking Places.
Our current policy is under review - with further details to follow