Letters of Comfort
We can inspect work carried out without a building warrant and, if satisfactory, issue a letter to confirm that no enforcement action will be taken in terms of unauthorised building works or against any outstanding building warrant (a building warrant where the certificate of completion has not been issued). We can also confirm for certain works that a building warrant was not required.
A "letter of comfort" is a letter from us which states that action will not be taken in respect of specified works which have either:
- been completed before the 1st May 2005 without the required building warrant being obtained , or
- been carried out with a building warrant , but no certificate of completion was obtained before this building warrant expired , or
- been carried out as exempt works before 1st May 2005 and no permission was required , or
- replacement windows were installed for which no building warrant was required .
5. a building warrant is/ was not required for the works and where appropriate complies with the Building Regulations.
This letter is only issued after a desktop assessment or an inspection has been carried out and any remedial works that was required has been satisfactorily completed.
Fees for a "letter of comfort" can be found on each application form.
Ourlets you know what you can expect from us.
This is not a replacement for the legal requirement to obtain a building warrant.
Adequate detailed drawings showing full compliance are still required along with the exposure of any part of the completed works that is deemed necessary to confirm compliance.
Dependent on the works carried out we may still have to consider taking legal action against you.