Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information and Updates

Updates on council services, latest news and information relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Applications for Free School Transport

Information on who qualifies for free school transport and how to apply.

Application Process 2021/22

Applications are now open for free school transport in session 2021/22.  Applications should only be made for pupils going into the following year groups:

  • P1, S1, S5 & S6.

All other pupils should retain their current passes for use in the 2021/22 school session.  

How do I apply?

Applications should be made using the online form. This can be used to apply for a first time pass, a renewal, a replacement or to advise of a change of details.

If for any reason you are unable to complete the online form, please contact or 01506 282320 for assistance.

Please note the closing date for applications is 2nd July 2021.  Applications received after this will be accepted but cannot be guaranteed to be processed in time for the start of term.

If pupils have lost their passes, replacement passes can also be requested using the online form.  Replacement passes will be sent to their school.

All pupils must have a pass to travel, or must pay a fare in order to travel if not entitled to free transport. Weekly tickets can be purchased from the parent's portal if the route has excess capacity. Schools will have details of these routes.  

 Free School School Transport online form

Who qualifies? 

Pupils who attend their catchment school and live more than 1.5 miles (primary), 2 miles (secondary) from the school. This distance is measured as a "Suitable Walking Route" which is defined as being of hard standing, being adequately lit and of adequate width.

Apart from those who live in excess of the council qualifying distance the following pupils may also qualify:


We will not provide transport for pupils in the circumstances below:

  • Pupils under the qualifying distance of 1.5 miles for primary and 2 miles for secondary, where there is a suitable walking route. 
  • Pupils who attend a non-catchment school.

Getting your first card 

Normally all pupils travel free on the first day at the start of the school session in August. New cards for P1 and S1 pupils are sent to their home address in the last week of the summer holidays. Cards provided by the council are hard plastic cards (similar to a credit card) and are intended to stay with pupils for their entire school life, unless they change schools or their allocated bus route is changed. The card will have an issue date on it, the pupil's name, their school and the route they have been allocated to. S5 & S6 pupils will require to collect their cards from the school on the first day of term.

If you've lost your card

Let us know as soon as possible using our online form. You'll be issued with a new card within five days. This will be available to collect from the school office.

Until your new card arrives, you'll be able to get a temporary pass from your school office to allow travel. This must be returned when collecting your new card.  

Apply online for Free School Transport (school bus pass), replacement school bus passes and change of details.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon