Search site

Gambling Licences and Permits

West Lothian Licensing Board has a range of functions under the Gambling Act 2005

Gambling Policy Review

The Licensing Board is undertaking a review of its gambling policy in preparation of publishing a new statement of gambling policy for the period 31 January 2019 to 30 January 2022.

As part of this review the Board is inviting responses to an online consultation. You may access this consultation at Gambling Consultation 2018 This consultation will run from 20 April to 20 June 2018.

Gambling Policy Statement

In accordance with the requirements of section 349 of the Gambling Act 2005, the Board is required to prepare and publish a statement of the principles it proposes to apply in exercising its functions under the Gambling Act 2005 (a policy statement) every three years.

A copy of the Board's policy statement for the period 31 January 2016 to 30 January 2019 is available here pdf icon West Lothian Licensing Board Gambling Policy 31 January 2016 to 30 January 2019 [205kb]

What types of gambling applications can I apply for?

You can apply to the Board for:

  • a premises licence for any of the following kinds of premises:
  • adult entertainment centre
  • betting shop
  • bingo
  • family entertainment centre
  • track

any of the following kinds of permit:

  • unlicensed family entertainment centres permit
  • prize gaming permit
  • licensed premises gaming machine permit
  • club gaming permit
  • club machine permit
  • registration of a small society lottery.

Please note that the Board does not issue gambling operating and personal licences as, by law, these are issued by the Gambling Commission. More information is available on the Gambling Commission's website: Gambling Commission

How to apply

You can find more information on how to apply for a gambling premises licence here: Gambling Premises Licence

You can find more information on how to apply for a gaming permit here: Gaming Permits

You can find more information on how to register a small society lottery here: Registration of Small Society Lotteries

Complaints about gambling activity in West Lothian

Complaints regarding gambling licence, permit holders or small society lotteries can be made in writing to the Board at the following address:

The Clerk, West Lothian Licensing Board, West Lothian Civic Centre, Howden South Road, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 6FF

or by email to: West Lothian Licensing Board

Complaints regarding unlicensed gambling premises should be made to Police Scotland by calling 101 or the Gambling Commission on 0121 230 6655.