Search site

Itinerant Metal Dealer's Licence

In terms of Section 32 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 itinerant metal dealers require to be licensed. The itinerant metal dealer's licensing scheme is administered by the Council's Licensing Team. The Team is able to provide general guidance on the scheme but cannot assist you to complete your application form or provide legal advice on whether a licence is required. You should seek legal advice from a solicitor or advice centre if you are unsure as to whether you require a licence.

From 16 March 2016 itinerant metal dealer means:

a person who carries on a business which consists wholly or substantially of buying or selling for scrap:

  • metal articles that are old, broken, worn out or defaced; or
  • partly manufactured articles that are made wholly or partly from metal;
  • collects articles of either of these kinds by means of visits from place to place; and
  • disposes of such articles without causing them to be kept in a metal store or other premises (including disposing or giving custody of the articles to a person who keeps a metal store)

Standard conditions for licensed itinerant metal dealers

You can access a copy of the council's standard conditions for licensed itinerant metal dealers which came into effect on 2 August 2016 from the related documents section on this page.

How to apply

You can apply for an itinerant metal dealer's licence using pdf icon the application form [140kb]

All applications require to be lodged in person and details of how to do this is detailed in the guidance notes attached to the application.

Application fee

Current fees pdf icon Fee list [66kb]

Application process

By law the council has a period of 9 months in which to determine an application for an itinerant metal dealer's licence from the date on which a complete application is received. 

The council is legally required to send a copy of your application to Police Scotland. In accordance with the legislation a copy of your application will also be sent to the council's Trading Standards service.

If there are any comments from advisors regarding your application, we will notify you accordingly. If any advisor has suggested that a condition or conditions are applied to your licence, we will ask you whether you accept the condition or conditions they have suggested. 

If there are no adverse comments from advisors, or if any condition suggested by an advisor is accepted by you, your application will be granted by the Chief Solicitor under delegated powers.

If there are any such adverse comments regarding your application, or an advisor has suggested a condition which you do not accept, your application will be referred to the council's Licensing Committee, for the Committee to decide whether to grant your application. 

You will be notified if your application requires to be referred to the Licensing Committee. The Committee meets on a monthly basis. You will be given the opportunity to attend and/or be represented at the meeting at which your application is to be considered and determined by the Committee.

If your application is granted we will contact you to let you know and arrange for your licence to be posted to you.

What if my details change or I no longer wish to hold my licence?

You should notify us as soon as you can if your details change or any of the information given in your application becomes out of date due to a change in your circumstances.

If you no longer wish to hold your licence you can surrender it to the council at any time by returning your licence together with a letter stating that you wish to surrender it. If you surrender your licence it will cease to have effect.

How to complain about a licensed itinerant metal dealer

Please send details of your complaint in writing to the Licensing Team by email or letter using the contacts details available on this page.

How to complain about an unlicensed itinerant metal dealer

Please contact Police Scotland by calling 101 or by email to: