Our Service to External Customers
Our Service to External Customers
We sell and lease council property
Development sites and surplus properties
We have for sale development sites - mainly for residential use - and properties that are surplus to the council's needs. These properties are usually advertised for sale on the open market, with a closing date for the submission of formal offers. Please note that we do not generally have individual house plots for sale - and any that do become available will be offered for sale in the manner outlined above.
We respond to requests from local residents for the purchase of amenity land for the extension of their private garden ground. If you want to find out more details download our information leaflet and application form available on our Standard Documents page.
Industrial and business development sites
The council has a small stock of land for development for industrial or office use, falling under planning Use Classes 4, 5 and 6. Sites are available for migrant and expanding local businesses to enable business growth with terms and conditions negotiated directly. We are also a partner in the development of new business parks at Heartlands, Whitburn, and at Lothian Gateway, Bathgate.
Commercial property for lease
We manage and let over 500 office, industrial and retail properties throughout West Lothian. These include:
- Business starter units suitable for a variety of light industrial and office uses
- Approximately 200 small industrial units from 90 to 180 sq.m (c 1000 to 2000 sq. ft), which are let on easy in, easy out terms
- About 30 larger industrial units of up to 2300 sq.m (25000 sq.ft)
- Office accommodation in multi-occupancy and modern self-contained buildings
- In excess of 100 shops, in both prime locations and local shopping parades
Download a guide to leasing commercial property from the council [105kb], and copies of our Standard Documents.
A full list of the properties we currently have available, on the Nova Loca database - Nova Loca
Commercial sponsorship of roundabouts
We manage the council's roundabout sponsorship scheme.
We can tell you if the council owns a particular property
Property Management and Development (PM&D) maintains computerised records of all properties owned by West Lothian Council, including an Ordnance Survey based Geographical Information System. All enquiries about property or ground ownership and requests for information on boundary issues should be directed to us.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org orKenman.Liu@westlothian.gov.uk on 01506 281 821, giving the address or location of the property. Unfortunately only information on council ownerships is available. This service is free of charge.
However, enquiries regarding the management and maintenance for grass, landscaping and open spaces - for example communal amenity or landscaped areas - should be directed to NETs, Land & Countryside Services .
We grant access across council land for the utility services
The council's formal consent is required for the laying of any utility or service - such as power, water or drainage - across land in our ownership. These consents are known wayleaves or servitudes and will be processed by Property Management and Development on request. For more information contact our Property Assistants [68kb].
We are involved in new developments
To support the growth of the West Lothian economy we are involved in projects for the provision of new industrial sites and buildings.
- We are partners with Ecosse Regeneration in the preparation of the 100 acre Heartlands Business Park, to the south of the M8, at Whitburn.
- A rehabilitation of the former Riddochhill Colliery at Bathgate with Waystone Hall Ltd, to create Lothian Gateway, an extension to both the J4M8 Distribution Park, and to Whitehill Industrial Estate.
- We are preparing to service industrial and business land in Livingston.