Search site

4. Applying for a place in a West Lothian Council Primary School

Find out how to apply for a place in a Primary School in West Lothian Council, this includes P1 places, out of session or any other stage and applying for a place with specialist provision.

Applying for a start of session P1 place in a Primary School

The Council's School Placement Panel has responsibility for deciding these applications.

We send letters to the parents/carers of all known eligible pupils in West Lothian, who require a P1 place for the next school year.

Before starting to complete an application form please read the pdf icon Primary School Admission Policy and Procedure [99kb] document carefully. The pdf icon Primary School Admission guidance note [253kb] provides a list of primary schools with contact details as well as links to other sources of useful information on school placement applications.

What will I need to apply?

  • If you've moved home recently, please provide some proof of your new address, such as a recent Council Tax bill, a recent utility bill or a copy of a Child Benefit award letter sent recently to you at your new address.
  • If your child has not previously attended a West Lothian Council or partner Early Learning and Childcare establishment, please provide a copy of your child's birth certificate.

  • If you're applying for a place in a denominational (Roman Catholic) school, and your child has been baptised into the Roman Catholic faith, please provide a copy of your child's baptism certificate.

How do I Apply?

The easiest way to apply is to use the Primary School Application online form

Alternatively if you would prefer to complete a paper form, application packs are available from Pupil Placement, from West Lothian Council primary schools and from Council Information offices.

What happens to my application?

We will acknowledge your application and send you another letter after 15 March, to tell you whether your application has been successful, or whether further consideration of your application is required. 

In April we will write again to parents/carers of those not already granted places.  If, after further consideration, your application is refused, we would usually allocate a place at another school and inform you of your right to appeal against the refusal.

Applying for a place in a primary school during the school session or at a stage other than P1 during the summer holiday

Head Teachers have responsibility for deciding these applications. 

Parents/carers may can apply either by:

The Head Teacher has 2 months to inform you of the decision, however most applications will be decided much more quickly.

If you have any issues or queries please contact the Head Teacher of your preferred school or Pupil Placement during school holidays.

Applying for a place in specialist provision

West Lothian Council is committed to meeting the needs of all learners within mainstream schools, wherever possible.  Parents/carers do have a right to make a placing request to the Council for admission to a special school/unit at any time.  

Placing requests for West Lothian's specialist provision are considered by the Education Placement Group and should be made in writing to:

The Education Placement Group
Inclusion and Wellbeing Service
2nd Floor North Wing
West Lothian Civic Centre
EH54 6FF

Your letter should include the following:

  • Your Name and Address
  • Child's/Young Person's Full Name and Date of Birth
  • Name of the special school/unit you are applying for
  • Whether your request is for the current academic session or next academic session
  • Enclose any supporting documentation you wish the Education Placement Group to consider along with your request

Please note: the Education Placement Group will ask your child's school for current assessment information to consider along with your request

Further general information on making a placing request for a specialist provision can be found on the Enquire website.