Search site

Noise Pollution

Environmental Health has responsibility for investigating most types of noise problems.

 Examples of the types of complaint dealt with include:

Other types of noise

Aircraft noise is regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority. However, complaints about aircraft using Edinburgh Airport should be directed to the airport itself. See Aircraft Noise​ for more information

Neighbour / Household noise complaints are the responsibility of the Safer Neigbourhoods Team which can be contacted on 01506 280000. This team also provides an out of hours emergency noise service.

Wind Turbine noise is rigorously assessed by Environmental Health at the planning stage to avoid noise problems arising. For more information see Wind Turbine Noise. Enforcement under planning conditions is carried out by Planning Enforcement.

Designing out Noise

Environmental Health is a statutory consultee on planning applications. Planning Officers will consult Environmental Health where there are potential environmental protection matters relevant to an application. By reviewing and making recommendations on planning applications, potential problems can be identified, prevented or managed with effective planning conditions. See Planning Application Consultations for more information.