Search site

Applying for a Council House

You can apply for a house by submitting an application to the West Lothian Housing Register.  The three partners of the West Lothian Housing Register are:

  • Almond Housing Association
  • Weslo Housing Management
  • West Lothian Council.

You only need to submit one application for the three partners of the Register and there is the option to select which of the partners you wish to be considered by. There is no limit on how many you select.

You can make your application by using the  pdf icon Application for Housing [969kb]Simply print off the form, complete your details and return to one of the addresses found at the start of the form.

For more information on applying for a Council House, please refer to the pdf icon Applying for a House Leaflet [87kb] and our pdf icon preparing for your new home [107kb] information leaflet.

Changes or amendments to applications

If you are already an applicant and wish to submit either a

Please print off and complete the appropriate form and address to Housing Allocations at the postal address under Contacts on this page. If you are completing any of these three amendment forms, please also include a completed pdf icon Applicants Declaration Form [35kb] in your return.

Property Needs Assessment

If you feel your current home does not meet your needs, please refer to our pdf icon property needs assessment [1Mb] document for advice on how we could help you. We aim to assist applicants;

  • Where an applicant's medical condition or disability is affected by their house type.
  • Where it is demonstrated that an applicant requires i.e. an adaptation which will meet their needs and allow them to remain in their current accommodation.

Changes to Housing Benefit

When applying for a council home it is important to understand what you can afford. The UK Government has introduced changes to Housing Benefit as part of the Welfare Reform Act. This means major changes  for any council tenants assessed as 'under occupying' their home. To find out the details of this change and what this means for you, please site the welfare reform page.