Search site

Report a Dead Animal

West Lothian Council will remove and dispose of any dead animals found on roads and public open spaces as a matter of urgency.

Should you wish to report this issue anonymously, please call our Contact Centre on 01506 280000

pdf icon Operational Services – online request for service - Privacy Notice [81kb]

If you find a dead animal (dog, cat, badger etc) on public land you should report it here using our online form below, giving as much detail as possible on the location.

Type of Animal Uplifted

The removal of animal carcasses is, in general, a service provided to deal with the victims of road traffic accidents. These are usually cats, dogs, foxes, and so on, but may be extended to deer or other animals.

Disposing of dead garden and wild birds - guidelines
  • If you find a dead bird of prey, three or more gulls or wildfowl species (particularly wild geese, wild ducks, swans) or find five or more birds of any other species in the same location and at the same time, please report these incidents to Defra's national helpline telephone 03459 335577. You should not touch or handle the dead birds
  • If the dead bird is a single, small garden, wild bird or does not meet the above criteria then you do not need to call Defra. You should either leave it alone or where avoiding directly touching any dead bird dispose of it by inverting a plastic bag over your hand and pick the bird up in the plastic, then draw the bag over your hand and tie it up and dispose of it in your usual household waste. Then wash your hands with soap and water
  • To report injured or abandoned animals please call the SSPCA 03000 999 999
Domestic Pets

The Council does not provide an uplift or disposal service for deceased domestic pets. The disposal of these carcasses is the responsibility of the pet owner. In many cases people may wish to bury the family pet in a suitable location in their garden, and this is perfectly acceptable. If that is not an option, local vets practices will have an arrangement for dealing with carcasses of animals that die in surgery or as a result of euthanasia, and they may be able to help (for a fee). There are also pet cemetery or cremation services, but these are more expensive than the vet option.