Local History Library
Local History Library
Find out the rich heritage of your local area in the West Lothian Local History Library. The Library holds a huge range of books, maps and images about West Lothian's places and people.
The Local History Library is based in Tam Dalyell House (formerly County Buildings) in Linlithgow High Street.
The Local History library is a reference library. Customers are welcome to come and carry out research. Staff are able to direct customers to the Local History Library where customers can browse the collection and carry out their own research. We are unable to answer enquiries by telephone or email but you are welcome to pop in to the Local History Library.
Please note that the library will be closed on Monday 7 May 2018.
- Monday: 9am - 5pm
- Tuesday: 9am - 7pm
- Wednesday: 9am - 5pm
- Thursday: 9am - 7pm
- Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Saturday: 9am - 1pm
More than just history - find out what's on offer at the West Lothian Local History Library:
3 wee girls, West Calder, 1920s
- Photographs - 11,000 photos - some online at Flickr - Local History Library
- Maps - c.1,100 maps. Search for them in the Main library catalogue
- Newspapers - search the Local Newspaper Search
- Books - some 10,000 books - search them in the Main library catalogue
- Family history resources - censuses, OPRs, MIs, etc.
- Valuation and Voters' Rolls, 1855 -
- DVDs and CDs of gala days and other films of local interest
- Local publications for sale
In addition the Local History Library offers:
- Schools' packs for each town and village
- Local History events
- Local history publications for sale
- Free access to Ancestry and to Scran, within the library
- A regularly updated Facebook page, with posts on the history of West Lothian West Lothian Council - Local History Library Facebook page
For Family History information, see the Family History page
Explore your heritage, re-discover your history, bring the past to life.
West Lothian Local History Library - collecting, preserving, organising and promoting West Lothian's heritage.
West Lothian Local History Library (Reference library)Tam Dalyell House
Linlithgow Partnership Centre