Search site

Animal Licensing

Licensing information for anyone caring for animals in a personal or business capacity.

Where an individual wishes to keep certain types of animals or operate a business whereby live animals are kept or used, a licence must first be granted by West Lothian council. Please follow the links for guidelines and applications procedures for the appropriate licence along with the  pdf icon current licensing fees [39kb].

View a list of all the pdf icon current licensed premises [103kb]

  • Animal Boarding Licence

    Anyone who operates a premises providing accommodation for animals needs to apply for a licence. No person may keep a boarding establishment without first obtaining a licence from their local authority.

  • Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

    Anyone who wishes to keep an animal which is classified as a 'dangerous wild animal' must apply for the relevant licence. To see which animals this applies to, check the Dangerous Wild Animal Schedule.

  • Dog Breeding Licence

    A breeding establishment is any premises where the breeding of dogs for sale is undertaken. A person will be presumed to be undertaking the business of breeding dogs for sale if, during any twelve month period, four or more litters of puppies are born.

  • Performing Animals Registration

    The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 requires that all persons who work with, train, supply, present, exhibit or show animals which are used in any genre of entertainment, or therapy, must register with their local authorities.

  • Home Boarding Licence

    Anyone planning on boarding dogs at a domestic premises needs to apply for a Licence under the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963. No person may board dog's without first obtaining a licence from the local authority.

  • Dog Day care Licence

    Applicants considering opening a Dog Day Care establishment are encouraged to contact the Animal Welfare Officers for more information.

  • Riding Establishments

    A riding establishment licence is required where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction in Scotland. "Horse" includes any mare, gelding, pony, foal, colt, filly, or stallion, and also any ass, mule or jennet. A licence may be granted to an individual over the age of eighteen years or a corporate body.

  • Pet Shop

    Any premises selling domestic animals as pets or for ornamental purposes needs a pet shop licence. No person may keep such an establishment without first obtaining a licence from the local authority.

  • Commercial Dog Walking

    Commercial Dog Walkers are encouraged to become a member of our Trusted Trader Scheme