Search site

Passported Benefits

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - Passporting arrangements for the Blue Badge Scheme

Receiving welfare benefits has, until now, given people an automatic entitlement to other 'passported benefits' controlled by the Scottish Government, such as free school meals and legal aid. However, now that so many people both in and out of work will be entitled to Universal Credit, the Scottish Government is having to think of new ways to decide who is most in need.

The 'passported benefits' the Scottish Government is responsible for include: Legal Aid, free school lunches, free NHS dental treatment, NHS patient travel costs, NHS optical vouchers, Individual Learning Accounts, Education Maintenance Allowance, Court exemption fees, Blue Badge parking permits, concessionary bus travel (for people of working age), and student loans for Higher Education (exemption from repayment).

Passporting for the Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge Scheme is a programme for people with disabilities who find it difficult to get around without using a car.  Passporting arrangements for the Blue Badge Scheme will apply to people who receive the Mobility Component of PIP.

  • 12 points, enhanced rate, "for planning and following journeys" which includes those who cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, assistance dog, or orientation aid,
  • 8 points, standard rate, "for moving around"

Where there is no entitlement to PIP

Transitional arrangements have been made to allow people who are in receipt of Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, but who are subsequently not awarded PIP to retain their Blue Badge until its expiry date.

Apply to the council for a Blue Badge.  This is subject to further assessment under eligibility criteria with similar mobility descriptors to passporting benefits.

Ask about whether you are entitled to benefit from the National Concessionary Travel Scheme which is available for use on buses

More information about applying for a Blue Badge is available on the council's website. Completed application forms should be taken to your local council Customer Information Services (CIS) centre.

All applications must be accompanied with the appropriate evidence: 

  • Proof of identity e.g. passport, driving licence
  • Proof of address e.g. council tax bill, bank statement
  • Proof of entitlement e.g. award letter dated in last 12 months; or
  • Supporting evidence e.g. hospital report - discretionary applications only

West Lothian Council will not issue a blue badge on the basis of a letter from your GP, however you may still submit this as evidence in support of your application.  All applications will be checked and recorded, they will then be forwarded to the Blue Badge Administration team who will process the applications, including determining eligibility, and upload all required data to the national database.  If awarded, the badge will then be ordered from the national suppler and sent direct to the customer within five working days of the order being placed.

National Concessionary Travel Scheme (NCTS)

  • If you are not receiving PIP you may still be able to apply for under existing criteria
  • If you are not awarded PIP, you may continue to use the card until it expires

You can access the NCTS if you are:

  • Aged 60 or over
  • Receive Attendance Allowance
  • Have a Blue Badge
  • You are registered blind or partially sighted
  • Profoundly or severely deaf
  • Lost a limb or limbs
  • You have been, or would be refused a driving licence
  • Have mental health issues, including mental illness, learning disability and personality disorder.