Search site

Non-dependant Adult

The non-dependant deductions to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit were frozen in 2001. In June 2010, the Government announced they will increase the level of non-dependant deductions in April 2011, 2012 and 2013. This is to increase them in line with what they would have been had they not been frozen.

The amount of deductions made is dependent on the circumstances of your household, to find out how you may be affected call 01506 280000, visit your local council Customer Information Services (CIS) centre or refer to these web pages for more advice and information. 

Who qualifies as a Non-dependant Adult?

A non-dependant adult is described as someone over the age of 18 who lives in your home but not your partner, joint tenant, or lodger.  Examples include: a grown up son or daughter or a friend who lives with you. This does not include your partner or younger children who live with you. A non-dependant deduction is taken from your Housing or Council Tax Benefit.

Who is exempt?

A deduction does not apply to everyone, certain people are exempt including: full time students, non-dependants who are in prison, non-dependants who have been in hospital for over 52 weeks, households where the person claiming Housing and Council Tax Benefit (or their partner) receives any rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance. This list is not exhaustive.


Having a 'non-dependant' adult living with you can affect your entitlement to Housing/Council Tax Benefit.

If you have a non-dependant living in your home, your Housing and Council Tax benefit may be reduced by a certain amount each week. The amount your Housing/Council Tax benefit is reduced by depends on the circumstances of the person living with you and how much income they have. If the non-dependant is working, the amount that is deducted depends on the level of their gross earnings.

This is because the UK Government expects adult non-dependants living in your home to contribute towards your household costs, including rent and Council Tax.  It is important to remember, however, that it is you, the tenant, who is responsible for paying your rent.

Deductions do not apply to people:

  • under 18 years of age
  • in full-time education or on Youth Training Schemes; or
  • in receipt of Pension Credit

There is also no deduction from your benefit if you, or your partner:

  • are registered blind
  • receive Attendance Allowance, or
  • receive the care component of Disability Living Allowance