Search site

Problems paying?

If you are having problems paying who to contact and what happens if you don't pay your Council Tax.

Having difficulties paying your Council Tax?

If you are having difficulties making your Council Tax payments or you're in arrears, please contact us using our details on this page so we can discuss your council tax payments.

What happens if you don't pay your Council Tax?

If we don't receive your payment on time, we will ask you to make the missed payment within seven days. If you do not do this, you will lose your right to pay in instalments after another seven days. The amount you owe for the rest of the year will then be due immediately and we will apply to the Sheriff Court for a 'summary warrant', which allows us to collect the taxes you owe us. At this stage we will add costs of 10% of the amount you owe.

So if you do not pay, you may end up having:

  • money taken from your wages;
  • your bank account 'frozen',which means you cannot use the money in the account;
  • money taken from your Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance; or
  • your goods taken away and sold at auction.

Money Advice

If you are having difficulties dealing with debt the councils advice shop provides a money advice service, details of this can be found on the money and debt advice pages.